Eastern Closing Dates (planned or probable)

I wouldn't bet big piles of money on Killington staying open beyond April 30. The steeply discounted season pass has destroyed spring skiing since they don't sell enough day tickets to justify the expense of staying open.

Geoff":klygw7hb said:
I wouldn't bet big piles of money on Killington staying open beyond April 30. The steeply discounted season pass has destroyed spring skiing since they don't sell enough day tickets to justify the expense of staying open.
indeed. the other effect of the cheap season pass is that the pass is so cheap, it is all the advertising they need. they no longer need to be first to open, last to close in order to get people there because of marketing. money talks more than an open lift apparently! in many ways, i will be happy to see kmart not make it past april, perhaps some people will start waking up? that may involve not paying for services if you don't agree with how the business operates. as long as people are buying passes for a smaller season, why should kmart stay open past april? i bet 99% of pass holders don't even ski kmart in april, let alone may.

Okay, so I'm adding a few more dates here...

Jay - trying to make it to April 23

Sugarbush - Lincoln Peak is closed for the season.
Mt. Ellen projected closing for weekly operations: April 23
If conditions permit, we will re-open Mt. Ellen for the weekend of April 29 and 30.

Hunter - THIS saturday, April 15

RivercOil.... I would think a decent amount of pass holders from ASC will be skiing fairly late with the pass. Part of the reason I bought mine.

There was a decent crowd at River last weekend and it was Reggae weekend. I'm sure when K is the only ASC option. Folks will migrate.

Off topic, but Bretton woods has a $20 ticket is you show your pass from another mountain for the rest of the season.
I may try that late season. I think they will be the last standing. Ski for a few hours hike for a few hours.

Off topic, but Bretton woods has a $20 ticket is you show your pass from another mountain for the rest of the season.

Thats a good plan Bob. I skied Bretton's last day last year on May 11th. Bretton had one groomed :cry: trail but it was 60 degrees and sunny, I hiked a trail after lunch and had a couple of Coronas :D. I agree Bretton will be the last resort in New England open this year. I think they still use that as part of thier marketing strategy. Riveroil is right that other Mtns. no longer compete to stay open. I was at Stowe Monday the conditions were the best all year in my opinion but the mountain was empty. The average skier stops skiing in March.

I purchase the ASC mid week pass for one reason to ski in Nov, April, May. I wish they'd go back to a spring pass by analyzing the april, may skiers and charging us accordingly. Maybe all season passes would expire March 31st and then offer a spring pass. I don't know what the answer is. In Nov. I skied 1 day at K's and 2 days at Sugarloaf so I'll have to evaluate if the $369 is worth it next year.

Evidently Mammoth saw a downside to its cheap Value Pass program, and therefore cut it off to new entrants this season. But they did give warning a year ago (that's part of why I bought one then) and they are grandfathering existing MVP holders who renew. The price went from $450 in 2005-06 to $485 in 2006-07. And thankfully Mammoth is not changing its commitment to run every day until July 4th in big years like the last 2. However I think operation past July 4 as in 1983 or 1995 is unlikely. This season will probably be the test of that.

I was a spring into March Pass buyer when that was an option. I'm one of the people Geoff is talking about with the new pass. (No offense directed Jeff) If I had property at an ASC resort I would probably have a different view than I do know.

The ASC pass does let me ski earlier and later than my Threedom pass. Not by as much as it did the last 2 years ago.

Ow its not being advertised much... but Loon will be open Monday the 17th, moving its closing day back a day.

I hadn't added this ski area on the list, but in case anyone that will be around Ottawa on this Easter weekend, Camp Fortune will not open this weekend.

All local skiing is now shut down, Fortune being the last to close last weekend. The closest area until Monday is now Tremblant, 2 hours drive - 100 miles away.

So it will be a uniquely Whiteface / Tremblant combo weekend for me.

jsul185":2aly9omt said:
I purchase the ASC mid week pass for one reason to ski in Nov, April, May.

This is getting closer to the familiar Kmart end of season discussion.

River, I agree that most of the passholders probably don't ski late season, HOWEVER this also applies to all skiers in general. Some people, as jsul185 pointed out, might buy a ASC pass because they expect their season pass to last longer than the competition.

If K and other ASC ski areas no longer provide a relatively longer ski season versus another areas, some people might rethink their pass commitment to ASC. Why buy the ASC pass versus the Stowe, Jay, Whiteface or other areas passes?

Early and late Season are a nice attractions.
Still for $365 to be able to ski Nov to April, that pass will sell to many. Its just 6 days. 3 weekends. I bought one again. I use it for a change of pace in the winter from my threedom. Quite a few folks I know bought that as a second pass. I think alot depends on how long Killington keeps going this year.

BobR":4rw8kuo5 said:
RivercOil.... I would think a decent amount of pass holders from ASC will be skiing fairly late with the pass. Part of the reason I bought mine.
a decent amount perhaps, but that isn't a very quantitative description of the volume. care to compare what you see for skiers this weekend to late december through february? the die hards will be out every late season, but i think most pass holders will be staying home. it is true of all mountains open this late. most folks don't even care that they could ski without paying another weekend.

I'll post what I see. Easter weekend usually has a decent crowd. Camp3's deck at Loon was full last year on Good Friday and a good crowds on Sunday. Manageable and I'm sure the mountain made a penny and the lines were ski on ski off on the North peak quad maybe 1 to 2 min of the Gondi.

The Marathon on Monday allows for alot of 3 day weekend folks and its the beginning of mass vacation week.

After that it is just those that don't quit. No comparison to Jan or Feb. The only skiers after that are pass holders and freebee's. I skied K I think May 12th last year and there were a decent amount of folk there with 3 decent runs. I'm hoping for a similar outlook, but not confident.

I'm impressed with the Bettonwoods $20 purchase a ticket with a 2005-2006 pass from another area. I know folks who are going to take advantage of that deal. Myself and my family are part of that group.

GO SKIING WHILE YOU CAN... I will. I'm planning two of these areas.

AFTER THIS LONG WEEKEND the only Eastern lift-serviced skiing while be in Vermont, Quebec and Bretton Woods (NH).

Here is a quick list of last days:

Hunter - April 15
Whiteface - April 16
Gore - April 16
Saddleback - April 16
Wildcat - April 16 :shock:
Sugarloaf - April 16
Loon - April 17
Tremblant - April 17
Sunday River - April 17 (ski free)

Smuggs is also closing today, April 16.

So who left standing after this long weekend and might offering skiing next weekend? Some of these areas only offer weekend skiing only.

Maine and New York:
No one

New Hampshire:
Bretton Woods (hoping for sometimes in May) :shock:

Vermont:
Jay Peak
Killington (May 1st)
Stowe (free skiing next Sunday)
Sugarbush

Québec (thanks Frank):
Mont Comi - Bas St-Laurent
Val d'Irène - Gaspésie
Le Valinouët - Saguenay Lac-St-Jean
Mont Sainte-Anne - Québec (closing April 30)
Mont Saint-Sauveur - Laurentians. (late April)

I was at Bretton Woods on Thursday 4/13...they're hoping to make it to April 30.

BTW, I've never been to a resort on April 13 where every run on the mountain had been groomed. Who grooms every trail in mid April?

I've never seen that before, but Bretton Woods must be the grooming capital of the world.

Blew my mind!

JimG.":2cocit40 said:
BTW, I've never been to a resort on April 13 where every run on the mountain had been groomed. Who grooms every trail in mid April?

I've never seen that before, but Bretton Woods must be the grooming capital of the world.

You should go to Mont St. Sauveur or maybe you shouldn't. :lol:

Anyway, as read elsewhere... K is planning to close May 1st. :shock:

OUCH!!!

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... php?t=2038

Looks like some terrible news! I'm making my trip up to Tucks for this Thursday (anyone gonna be in the ravine?) and maybe I'll try to hit Killington right before driving back on Friday. Ive been seeing forecasts calling for rain and mid 50's high's for the Mt. Washington region beginning after Friday, same for Killington. With a real rain spell maybe Killington wont even pull through until May 1 :? But I'm surprised how well Hunter Mtn. did this winter with building up their base, even with less than 100 inches of snowfall theyve managed to pull through until April 15 - and from the photos I saw on their website from April 13 or 14 it seems that alot of the runs have pretty good cover (at least where it matters, e.g. the steeps of lower K27). I gave some thought to hiking and skiing laps on K27 this past Sunday since it looked so good. Last day I was there was March 31 (quite a while ago) and they had K27 open, but with some skiing over wet grass necessary on the runout or even hiking (depending on how dear to you the skis you were on were). I was glad to see that they still kept it open even despite the terrible conditions on the bottom - at least its a sign that they havent forsaken the dedicated late season skier (although I thought it was ridiculous that they would be trying to charge full price for lift tickets on their last two days with "7" trails, more like 2 runs, $25 voucher for next season or not). Maybe this is one of the side effects of Killington no longer having the late spring season market cornered...

Sven

I skied Monday the 17th at Loon making closing day. I made opening day as well. Friday was the busiest day of the weekend. I made it up at 2.30 and skied till 4. I love 1/2 days and Loon being close enough to get some late day runs in.

RivercOil was correct this year. The folks did not come. The place was empty the entire weekend. Spring Skiing :D , many interesting dirt and rock patches. Picked rock could stay open it seems for ever. One spot where it looked thin. The conditions were better than recent years at closing IMO.

sven":3376maf3 said:
Looks like some terrible news! I'm making my trip up to Tucks for this Thursday (anyone gonna be in the ravine?) and maybe I'll try to hit Killington right before driving back on Friday. Ive been seeing forecasts calling for rain and mid 50's high's for the Mt. Washington region beginning after Friday, same for Killington. With a real rain spell maybe Killington wont even pull through until May 1 :? But I'm surprised how well Hunter Mtn. did this winter with building up their base, even with less than 100 inches of snowfall theyve managed to pull through until April 15 - and from the photos I saw on their website from April 13 or 14 it seems that alot of the runs have pretty good cover (at least where it matters, e.g. the steeps of lower K27). I gave some thought to hiking and skiing laps on K27 this past Sunday since it looked so good. Last day I was there was March 31 (quite a while ago) and they had K27 open, but with some skiing over wet grass necessary on the runout or even hiking (depending on how dear to you the skis you were on were). I was glad to see that they still kept it open even despite the terrible conditions on the bottom - at least its a sign that they havent forsaken the dedicated late season skier (although I thought it was ridiculous that they would be trying to charge full price for lift tickets on their last two days with "7" trails, more like 2 runs, $25 voucher for next season or not). Maybe this is one of the side effects of Killington no longer having the late spring season market cornered...

Sven

Hunter did do a great job this season. Still a TON of snow left on the lower K27 headwall.

Resorts close because of a lack of paying skier visits, not lack of snow. If there's no profit motive, the lifts don't spin.

Jay Website.

Good morning and welcome to what will probably be our last week of the season.

We will have 10 trails open and 2 lifts in operation. Most of the skiing will be on Stateside with the Jet triple as your access to the trails. The Jet, Haynes, Derrick, Montrealer, Angel's Wiggle, Taxi and Lower Canam. The Metro Quad will be operating on Tramside, we'll have Queen's Highway, Interstate and Harmony Lane.

Conditions are spring all around with some bare spots. The forecasts for today is temps in the low 50's with lots of sun. Sun is in the forecast for the rest of the week, through Friday at least.

Back