Eastern Closing Dates (planned or probable)

JimG.":2spgruxz said:
Resorts close because of a lack of paying skier visits, not lack of snow. If there's no profit motive, the lifts don't spin.

Yes, most of the time. However even with the current conditions in the East, the lack of customer is being less of a factor in the closing date.

River was with me at MRG on it's last day (April 1). It was incredible that they didn't close sonner. Kudos for keeping the lifts turning. Not a good example because of the lack of snowmaking?

Whiteface this weekend. When the skiing to the bottom is so marginal (K has done it the past), it was surprising that they even opened this weekend. I skied a few last days of the season at Whiteface, Sugarloaf, Ste-Anne, Tremblant to know how much coverage there usually is.

Tremblant could have survived a bit longer, but I've rarely seen so little snow for mid-April (closing weekend).

I found a few closing days posted...

Last one standing in the East will be?

By order of closing date or probable closing date.

Le Valinouët - April 22nd
Stowe - April 23rd
Val d'Irène - April 23rd
Jay Peak - April 23rd? (probably last weekend)
Mont Comi - April 23rd, maybe later
Mont Saint-Sauveur - maybe April 23rd or 30th
Sugarbush - April 23rd, maybe 30
Mont Sainte-Anne - April 30th
Killington - May 1st
Bretton Woods (hoping for May) :shock:

Latest update...

Le Valinouët - April 22nd
Jay Peak - April 22nd (probable)
Stowe - April 23rd
Val d'Irène - April 23rd
Sugarbush - April 23rd (probable), a long shot for next weekend.
Mont Comi - April 23rd, maybe later
Mont Saint-Sauveur - maybe April 23rd or 30th
Mont Sainte-Anne - April 30th
Killington - May 1st
Bretton Woods (hoping for May) :shock:

From Jay website this morning...

It is another gorgeous day out there, sunshine all around! However the sun is taking all our snow away. We are down to 6 trails open for today with 2 lifts accessing those trails. The 2 lifts will be the Jet triple and the Metro quad. The Jet, Haynes, Montrealer, Angel's Wiggle, Harmony Lane and the Interstate. There are no trails connecting the 2 sides together, so keep that in mind when you park your car.
(...)
Tomorrow will probaly be last day of the 2005-2006 season so get your golf clubs ready.

From Sugabush...

CONDITIONS: 5:50 AM- Five trails. Three days. That's all that is left in the 2005-06 season. True, if the conditions permit, we will reopen next weekend, but the corn has ripened to perfect spring consistency and skiing and riding the bumps of Upper FIS is the perfect way to get in shape for summer.

Looks like they're pretty sure that it's the end...

Who is still open or going to be open this weekend?

Mont Saint-Sauveur - maybe on weekend
Sugarbush - YES on weekend, closing on April 30th
Mont Sainte-Anne - YES on weekend, closing on April 30th
Mont Comi - YES on weekend
Killington - YES, closing May 1st
Bretton Woods - YES, still aiming for early May

Runs and prices:

Sugarbush - maybe 5 runs? for
Mont Saint-Sauveur - maybe 2 runs for ?
Mont Comi - x number of runs for $18 CDN
Mont Sainte-Anne - maybe 20 runs for $41 CDN
Killington - 3 runs for $39 US
Bretton Woods - 2 green runs for $30US

Patrick":1wcxhtbr said:

Sugarbush - maybe on weekend

Word has it that as of this morning, Sugarbush has officially committed to going for it.

Brettonwoods made snow last night. I hope they make it to the 1st weekend in May. I'll be at k on Sat BW on sunday this weekend.

Admin":8afa7rwi said:
Patrick":8afa7rwi said:

Sugarbush - maybe on weekend

Word has it that as of this morning, Sugarbush has officially committed to going for it.

\:D/ I wonder if my friend still has her vouchers? :roll:

Of course, I have to get the green from home also. :oops:

I'll be a brettonwoods on Sunday with a few Az folk. I am short glasses red coat black pants if not shorts. Tye dye t-shirt. I will have a snow board son in tow, maybe my wife and daughter. Atomic sx11. Say hi.

Although they still had a lot of snow left, Comi decided that they wouldn't open next weekend.

So here is the updated list for this weekend.

Mont Saint-Sauveur - YES on Fri-Sat-Sun, closing on April 30th
Sugarbush - YES on weekend, closing on April 30th
Mont Sainte-Anne - YES on Fri-Sat-Sun, closing on April 30th
Killington - YES, closing May 1st
Bretton Woods - YES, still aiming for early May

Last Call? :shock:

Looks like it might be the last weekend of lift-serviced skiing in the East.

All but Bretton Woods are schedule to close on the 30th or 1st.

PS. I don't remember any times in the last 25 years where no Quebec ski area have open in May. This is almost true for Vermont with Killington closing on Monday May 1st. :? This will be the earlier closing for K in over 30 years.

Not good, not good at all. :cry:

Brettonwoods looks like they will make another week with a bit of luck. They made snow on Friday night/Sat am again. Looked just like it was at the base, but good for marketing.

BobR":1z79x719 said:
Brettonwoods looks like they will make another week with a bit of luck. They made snow on Friday night/Sat am again. Looked just like it was at the base, but good for marketing.

After a beautiful weekend all over the East, only Bretton Woods has survived past May 1st.

Bravo Bretton Woods. =D>

Brettonwoods has posted a closing date.... Sunday May7th. That will be a free day as well. One more weekend of lift serviced. I'll be there Sat and Sunday. If all goes well that will be day 73.

Bretton Woods - MAY 5th, 2006 ***new date*** (See other topic)

Killington - May 1st

Sugarbush - April 30th
Ste. Anne - April 30th
St. Sauveur - April 30th

Val d'Irène - April 23rd
Mt. Comi - April 23rd
Stowe - April 23rd

Jay Peak - April 22nd
Le Valinouet - April 22nd

Only 10 ski areas in all of Eastern North America opened after Easter weekend.

Back