Tuckerman Ravine - May 7, 2006

Admin":ycy9as3z said:
Sunday is Mother's Day. I'm sure that I'd be labeled a mother-something.

Me too if I bailed on Mother's day to go skiing out west.

Then again, I've been called worse in the past.

This past season's schedule just got too packed with things I had to do to get out there to visit Marc...my bad. I'll try to make up for it in the coming season.

JimG.":1ynavywr said:
Sounds like an FTO Tucks trip is in the cards, at least for next season anyway.

How great a sport is skiing when I just hung up the boards for this season and I'm already psyched for next?

I'm pretty sure me and my dad would be down for a Mt. Washington FTO trip. I would actually rather do GoS. We would have the whole place to ourselves that way if someone showed up later it would be easier to spot everyone. In the GoS you could just meet at the base of the main gully, very easy. Where as Tucks might be a pain to find everyone. Just my opinion though...

when GoS is filled in, i suspect it would be a lot harder to arrange a central meeting spot compared to tux. from the snow fields to boott spur gullies, many runs dump you out over a mile apart from each other whereas all routes lead to the the floor of the ravine in tux and there is always hojos as decision making central on the way up. i really enjoy GoS, but in terms of findings other people, i really think you gotta be together on the way up either way you go, but especially GoS since the runs are so far spread out and don't all end in the say location.

I don't think it would be a good plan for 20 of us to ski Duchess at the same time. :shock: :shock: :shock:

But I would love to ski GOS (it's been on Lucky Luke list for long), but also Dodge, maybe Duchess and a top-to-bottom Chute for once (I never had the right conditions for it).

Hojo would definitely be a good place to meet, because I suspect that we might be the same speed hiking up. :oops:

Anyway, we're pretty far from a plan trip. :cry:

group size would definitely be a major concern of mine with that type of outting. best idea with anything more than five or six people would be to weed out the quicker hikers and break into two mini groups after the hike up or depending on what lines folks wanted to do. i would think decision making in groups larger than four could become problematic.

riverc0il":1zwky2eb said:
group size would definitely be a major concern of mine with that type of outting. best idea with anything more than five or six people would be to weed out the quicker hikers and break into two mini groups after the hike up or depending on what lines folks wanted to do. i would think decision making in groups larger than four could become problematic.

Concurred... while hiking up tucks trail with 10 people might not be bad, skiing with 10 is looking for trouble... I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to split off!

To bad most of you guys are done for the year. Any interest in a weekend trip in late may anyone?

salida":20hhttdd said:
To bad most of you guys are done for the year. Any interest in a weekend trip in late may anyone?
I'm all booked up for the next few weeks, but late May or early June wouldn't be impossible. :shock:

I also agree on side of group, more than a hand full would be troublesome. That what I meant when I talk about 20 in Duchess.

salida":3c91zb7l said:
Any interest in a weekend trip in late may anyone?
i am looking at both the next two weekends. ideally mr. otto will provide a hand next weekend then the bowl proper the last weekend in may.

Just meeting at the bowl or at hojos would be the easiest IMO. I really don't like hiking up with a big group of people with different speeds. The easiest thing to do IMO is to have some one make a sign that says "FTO" on it so everyone could find the group. Just get a poster board from walmart or something. I would think that the left side of the bowl by the bottom of left gully would be a good meeting/hangout spot. Easier to find everyone then at lunch rocks. Then everyone can just go do there own runs in groups of 3-4. Does anyone think we will have more than 10-15 people anyway?

I can't go again until 5/24-5. I hope the bowl doesn;t have goldfish swimming in it by then :roll:

Sledhaulingmedic":2h8utf1k said:
I can't go again until 5/24-5. I hope the bowl doesn;t have goldfish swimming in it by then :roll:
i dunno how tux has done for weather, but we didn't get much snow over here in StJ. when i was driving to/from MA yesterday, the rain was considerably less north of say, manch/concord area and not bad in the whites. we certainly have been getting a week of monsoon rain like lower NE has.

Do cell phones work between Pinkham Notch and Tux? They really help a lot at AltaBird and Mammoth when people have different agendas in terms of ski preferences, meeting other people, etc. On my March Snowbird trips, admin always has other irons in the fire, but we manage to meet up for a few interesting runs.

come on! you know better than that tony. cell phones are illegal in the mountains. :wink:

so is this going to happen or what?
may 27th and/or 28th?
or the following weekend june 3-4?
(i'm assuming weekends are best for those who want to meet up)

I'm done for this season, so I'll be looking to hook up with folks again next season. I agree that groups larger than 5 or 6 people become problematic, but I'm sure we can work out a plan to hook up at various times in the day. I agree with those who say that Tucks is the best place to meet up in a large group...there are natural meeting places and a variety of lines to suit any taste.

That said, anyone looking for more turns this season needs to keep a sharp eye on the weather this week. The observatory reported 13.5 inches of rain this past weekend and the snow loss was pretty massive.
I'm sure the undermining of snow and crevasse formation is equally intense if not as visible. Be careful out there!

I'm sure the undermining of snow and crevasse formation is equally intense if not as visible. Be careful out there!
indeed. i will be following the avy reports closely this week. definitely will be avoiding any lines involving snow not potentially on solid ground :shock: if i make it up this weekend. really too bad how much snow loss is occuring, maybe only two left in me, i originally was hoping for four more.

I'm hoping MAYBE trying to get some Eastern June turns.

Tux looks worst than usual. Any opinions of what might still be there in 3 week?

My guess, Left Gully will probably the only serious option, although we noticed that there was a slight undermining right of the gully near the hourglass.

Snowfields by the Autoroad? Will there be anything left? I know that it's hard to say what the weather is going be to like in the next 3 weeks and what will be left? Just wondering if June '06 turns with a day drive will be possible?

the ravine was looking very comparable to last year until the recent rains. last year, i skied the ravine on june 4th with plenty of skiable "runs." i did chute and left gully and i believe right gully was still hanging in there. staying lookers left on chute was imperative as under the headwall was cravassed and undermined and looking mighty ugly. i would be surprised if similar runs could not still be had in early to mid-june this year, but who knows what the rains have done. i certainly wouldn't count it out, but don't expect full runs. snowfields would be nice this weekend if the rain cleared, but doesn't look too hopeful and who knows what might be left be the next weekend. guess we will have to wait and see. :cry: :?

Back