Snowbird, UT 5/14/06

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 56

A quick better-late-than-never report. The Kid and I headed up for a few runs before heading back home for our Mother's Day obligations.

85-degree highs in the Salt Lake Valley meant temps in the low 60s up on the hill under cloudless skies and 120 inches of settled mid-mountain base. In a word, gorgeous. Even the leaves on the aspens near the bottom of Baby Thunder are sprouting.

The Bird had made a decision to run Mineral Basin Express from 8 am to noon for the weekend, and according to the tram op on our first ride at 10 am they're "probably" going to do that next weekend as well, when the tram is down for maintenance. GadZoom was closed last weekend, but will reopen next weekend while the tram is down.

We headed straight to Mineral and took a first run on the east-facing aspect of Mineral Launcher. While the first 20 turns or so were delightful and supportable, it got mankier down lower, and we did a quick exit stage right to the groomer. We followed up with two more runs, both starting on Lupine Loop and cruising down to Bassanova, ducking off the groomed here and there to sample the goods.

Our last run was a top-to-bottom cruiser through the Gad Valley by traversing out to Pipeline Bowl, Rasta Chutes, lower Mark Malou, Bassackwards and Bass Highway, as the kid awkwardly jumped the road lip into lower Mach Schnell back to the truck:
Video

Attachments

• 04 snowbird af twin peaks 060514.jpg
    04 snowbird af twin peaks 060514.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 2,977
  • 03 snowbird gad valley 060514.jpg
    03 snowbird gad valley 060514.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,976
  • 02 snowbird mineral the kid 060514.jpg
    02 snowbird mineral the kid 060514.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 2,979
  • 01 snowbird lupine loop 060514.jpg
    01 snowbird lupine loop 060514.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,982
Admin":2uwwj4dm said:
... as the kid awkwardly jumped the road lip into lower Mach Schnell back to the truck:
Video
Still as graceful as ever, I see! :lol: :roll:

When I checked their conditions page late Sunday morning (before picking up Mom for a fantastic brunch at the Aerie in the Cliff Lodge), they had closed Mineral Basin an hour earlier than planned; same with the Hidden Peak/AF Twin Peaks gate. The rapid heating was probably cause for concern about wet slides.

Given the predicted temperatures for the next 7 days, I'm not holding my breath for them continuing into June this season. I'd be nice to see, but when the valley goes into the 90's, the remaining snowpack takes a beating.

Marc_C":318y6z10 said:
Given the predicted temperatures for the next 7 days, I'm not holding my breath for them continuing into June this season. I'd be nice to see, but when the valley goes into the 90's, the remaining snowpack takes a beating.

I suspect you're correct.

Marc_C":g21c2dn6 said:

Are you talking about the given area at Snowbird or the whole ski area?

I'm referring to them being open for skiing beyond May 29, running either the Tram/Little Cloud or Gadzoom/Little Cloud lift combinations. Right now the only officially open skiing is the terrain serviced by the Little Cloud and Gadzoom lifts (and possibly, if conditions allow, Mineral Basin) and only on weekends. The entirety of Peruvian Gulch went off-limits some weeks ago due to the construction of the new Peruvian lift.

We'll still likely have skiable snow into July. Even with our current temps we still have over an 11 foot base. The only question is how long will it be lift-served?

Not very long, given past history. How is attendance at Snowbird vs. last year at this time? I'd guess lower due to Peruvian Gulch closure. Low attendance means they will probably close May 29. Plus the snow appears to be getting beat up faster.

FYI Bachelor's close is also May 29. Any FTO'ers interested in skiing after that, I have reservations at Mammoth June 10-11 and July 1-4.

Tony Crocker":3w030uj5 said:
How is attendance at Snowbird vs. last year at this time? I'd guess lower due to Peruvian Gulch closure.
Seems about the same. They're making up for the PG closure by keeping Mineral open longer than planned.

Back