More New Zealand, Aug. 23 - 30, 2006

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
It was an action packed week, as our hosts Ski Express Tours ( http://www.skiexpress.co.nz ) were eager to show us many other attractions in New Zealand in addition to the skiing. For those booking Ski Express packages, representatives are onsite in 8 Queenstown hotels each morning and evening of your stay to provide assistance in arranging activities, in many cases at a discount to published prices. For example Andrew's ledge bungy was discounted from $140NZ to $99NZ. Ski Express also provide daily 2-hour complimentary ski tours at Coronet Peak and the Remarkables, and on selected days at Cardrona, Treble Cone and Mt Hutt, with a minimum of two guests required. They also have reps in Wanaka and Methven. The U.S. contact for Ski Express is Holidaze Ski Tours ( http://www.holidaze.com )
shotover1.JPG

View attachment shotover2a.jpg
shotover3.JPG

lothlorien.jpg

bungy1.jpg

bungy2.jpg

bungy3.jpg

kea.JPG

Those are awesome photos. I'd love to go bungee jumping and take those jet boat tours! Looks like a good time was had by all.

More pics. Scenics from the bluebird day of heliskiing, then gloomy pics from our only bad weather day at Milford Sound. I had to look up the awe-inspiring pics from the clear day at Milford in 1982 when I got home. These are unfortunately slides, so it would cost a modest $1.50 per pic to convert to digital. Since I have 270 slides from that trip I will have to go through them and make some judicious choices.
lake_wanaka.JPG

aspiring.JPG

mt_cook.JPG

View attachment milford_avy1.jpg
milford1.jpg

seals.jpg

sterling.jpg

bowen.jpg

Beautiful views.

Tony Crocker":jskxfefp said:
These are unfortunately slides, so it would cost a modest $1.50 per pic to convert to digital. Since I have 270 slides from that trip I will have to go through them and make some judicious choices.

Or just buy a cheap slide scanner.

Admin":g4j30ham said:
Beautiful views.

Tony Crocker":g4j30ham said:
These are unfortunately slides, so it would cost a modest $1.50 per pic to convert to digital. Since I have 270 slides from that trip I will have to go through them and make some judicious choices.

Or just buy a cheap slide scanner.

Yes, really beautiful views.

IMG, I might not have a digital camera, but I do own a slide scanner. :wink:

However I haven't taken slide pictures since a trip to Florida in 1979. :lol:

Slide scanners are not that cheap, at least the ones that are any good. These are the only slides I have, so I will have to see how many of them I want digitized. FYI the last 30 or so slides are from my last backcountry ski on San Gorgonio in 1983.

Tony Crocker":2t5aqf04 said:
Slide scanners are not that cheap, at least the ones that are any good.

You can get a decent slide scanner attachment for many flatbed scanners for well sub-$100.

Admin":1pnwt3q3 said:
Tony Crocker":1pnwt3q3 said:

You can get a decent slide scanner attachment for many flatbed scanners for well sub-$100.

Yep...also good for negatives.

I have an all-in-one printer that includes a flatbed scanner. I read that flatbed scanners need a focusing adjustment to handle slides (since slides don't sit flush on the glass), which few of them have. So if either of you can give me an example of a "slide scanner attachment" I may be interested.

Tony Crocker":16ewtq2k said:
So if either of you can give me an example of a "slide scanner attachment" I may be interested.

I don't have one for you without going shopping online. I had one for an old scanner that's since died and been replaced.

Patrick":o5efmo4l said:
Admin":o5efmo4l said:
Tony Crocker":o5efmo4l said:

Yep...also good for negatives.

Admin doesn't allow negativity here. 8)

Personally, my favorite shot is the Kea. Those alpine parrots are very entertaining.

Geoff":7fhw4k8s said:
Admin doesn't allow negativity here. 8)

Yes, he does. :roll: I could be mean (sarcasm) here, but I won't. 8)

Geoff":7fhw4k8s said:
Personally, my favorite shot is the Kea. Those alpine parrots are very entertaining.

I also like that picture.

Admin":7fhw4k8s said:
I don't have one for you without going shopping online. I had one for an old scanner that's since died and been replaced.

Mine still works fine, unfortunately it doesn't work with my latest computer. :cry: I can scan on my old, then transfer the pics to the new one. Ah yes, my printer also doesn't work with the new computer. #-o

Yes, I could get a new one, once I'm finish playing for all my ski and concert related stuff from this year. On that note, The Who concert last night was great, but a bit pricey. :roll:

I have found by browsing around that I can get the slides converted by mail order for 40-50 cents each. So if I think I want most of the pics digitized I will probably do that.

The Kea illustrates the virtues of digital. Keas are a dull dark green except for the colorful undersides of their wings. So I followed a couple around the Remarkables picnic area until I finally got one in mid flight, then erased about 10 pics that weren't any good.

New Zealand 2006 snowfall was above average June-August but very dry in September. There is minimal May data. I have June-September data for 3 areas since 1992 as a result of my recent trip. Projected season averages:
Coronet Peak 94 inches
Remarkables 134 inches
Mt. Hutt 191 inches
Conventional wisdom is that Treble Cone and Cardrona get more snow than the Queenstown areas but less than Mt. Hutt. Treble Cone and Cardrona above 5,000 feet had excellent natural coverage, noticeably better than the Remarkables, when I was there except for poor exposures. Coronet's cover and surface was excellent but management estimated than half the snowpack there was from snowmaking.

Back