Portillo 8/5-12/06

salida

I was going to do the whole right up, but basically the jist is the skiing was awesome, 10-20ft base, with 4ft while we were t here. Ran into some awesome folks, and skied and partied hard!

Here are the select (semiselect) good pics. Some more action and video on the way.

02.jpg

waiting at the airport
03.jpg

sunrise over the andes
04.jpg

no turtles, apples, or cheese into chile please
05.jpg

big rock on the drive up
06.jpg

a mile long tunnel with no ventilation, hold your breath
07.jpg

switch backs, a two lane road, crazy drivers turn into a 3 laner
08.jpg

traffic jam
09.jpg

small room in the Inca
10.jpg

free wine tasting, night 1/7
11.jpg

phil on the lift
12.jpg

flat light first day, looking over the partially frozen lake
13.jpg

stephan and myself
14.jpg

me below some cliffs
15.jpg

wine tasting 2/7
16.jpg

base on a sunny day
17.jpg

plateau lift
18.jpg

looking towards roca jack
19.jpg

out of bounds beyond condor
20.jpg

poma
21.jpg

me on the lift
22.jpg

waiting at roca jack
23.jpg

my friends decided i looked like hitch hiker, the portillo dog
24.jpg

watch the sequence
25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

jason got knocked over by avy bombing
28.jpg

nice rock
29.jpg

waist deep
30.jpg

our tracks down the main chute plateau side
31.jpg

rock again, hold the distance mark
32.jpg

stephan and phil ripping
33.jpg

keith on the bottom, stephan phil jason and justin at the top
34.jpg

keith infront of Roca jack where we got first tracks in waist deep. The hardest part was riding the 5 man poma up the slope, jeeeez
35.jpg

looking at a mandatory from the bottom of the first chute on the roca traverse, it was more like 15ft at the beginning of the week, 5ft at the end
36.jpg

looking down from the mandatory
37.jpg

waist deep
38.jpg

air
39.jpg

keith on the lift
40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

wine tasting 7/7, hum missed pictures on 3, 4, 5, and 6.....
44.jpg

playing "make love to the dealer" in the tea room with pisco
45.jpg

group shot
46.jpg

big snow banks
47.jpg

girl on the bar
01.jpg

la Posada

-Porter

Impressive powder. How long before it was tracked out?

One more question. I note the lake was not frozen. Supposedly there's a lot of traverse-to ski terrain that is dependent upon being able to ski back over the frozen lake. Some people say Portillo is somewhat small for a whole week if that terrain is not accessible. But with the conditions you had, probably nobody cared.

Tony Crocker":nf1a6m13 said:

One more question. I note the lake was not frozen. Supposedly there's a lot of traverse-to ski terrain that is dependent upon being able to ski back over the frozen lake. Some people say Portillo is somewhat small for a whole week if that terrain is not accessible. But with the conditions you had, probably nobody cared.

Tony, in all honesty the snow was never tracked out... You could either continue traversing or you could ski gnarlier lines. In my opinion the skiers there were not very good. There were a few elites like Kim Reichhelm and others, who were good, in addittion to the ski schoolers. But other than that we were the only ones skiing anything worth noting.

As for the lake, yes the run down to the lake would have been fantastic and would have opened up another bit of expert terrain. But in all honesty we were very happy traversing out before we got into the lake run, and or skiing the Roca Jack side where we found tons of untracked. The place just has so little pressure (400 total people a week) and not that many hardcore skiers that it was not a huge deal. If you want the lake to be frozen I would go in Sept. but still there is no gaurantee!

Tony Crocker":2b95906z said:

I visited Portillo in the same time frame as Porter and the conditions look almost identical. The lake was also unfrozen when I went and although we did explore a few of the lake chutes, hiking back up and traversing out was a pain. Having a frozen lake would have made those runs much easier.

But between the high traverse and all the possibilities off of that traverse, some of the hikes up from the high traverse, and the heliskiing, I had more than enough to keep me busy for a week and I wished I had 2 weeks. We never saw anyone else out on the high traverse while we were skiing there.

It was done as a promo for my college ski club. If it'd just been for the sake of making a movie it probably would have been less ostentatious.

Back