Timberline, OR - August 29th 2006

Patrick

Oh well, who said that summer skiing was suppose to feel like summer. :roll:

After a few days of hot weather, the cold air moved in. As I got out of the Lodge at 6:30am this morning for breakfast (no breakfast in the Timberline until 7:30). Brrr. Definitely not t-shirt and sandals weather for a quick walk to the Day Lodge (the only place to find breakfast before the lifts started turning).

Temps was in the low 40s. I can't believe I even debated what to wear to go skiing this morning. Eventually got my winter stuff (pants and jacket). Got ride of the sun glasses and tiny gloves after a few runs because the temps weren't raising that much. I don't know what the boarder that bought his ticket before me was thinking. He had a T-SHIRT. After seeing him at top, I never saw him again.

Besides the cool weather that stayed in the mid 40 all day, it was very windy and the clouds eventually covered the area at around noon.

How was the skiing?

Snow softened up at around 10am, prior to that...I could feel the hard surfaces vibrating all the way to the fillings in my teeth. Upper Palmer had only one course set up for ski training for adults (people like me - ie. Masters, etc.). I guess all the kids are about to start school. Skiing was also possible all the way to the bottom of Palmer via one canyon and beyond. The snowpark was open into other canyon, however people had to hike across into the other canyon to reach the lift.

Skiing beyond the bottom of Palmer is still possible with excellent coverage. The snow ends at about 180ft vertical above the bottom of the Magic Mile chair which is more or less a 10 minute walk.

Here is the forecast for tomorrow...Who said that summer felts like summer. :roll: I hear for the next two days then back for Sunday and Labour Day. I was solo today, however my daughter Morgane is probably going to join me tomorrow (not at 7am, but later in the morning).

Tonight: Mostly cloudy with sprinkles in the evening...then a slight chance of showers after midnight. Breezy. Snow level 6500 feet. Pass winds west 10 to 25 mph becoming light after midnight.

Wednesday: Showers likely in the morning...then partly cloudy with a chance of showers in the afternoon. In the north...snow level 6500 feet. In the south...free air freezing level 8000 feet. Light wind becoming northwest 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

Today: Showers likely north in the morning...then a chance of showers in the afternoon. Morning clouds south...then partly sunny. Snow level 6000 feet rising to 7000 feet in the afternoon. Light wind becoming northwest 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy north in the evening...then partly cloudy. Mostly clear south. Free air freezing level rising to 10000 feet. Pass winds northwest 10 to 15 mph shifting to the northeast after midnight.

Thursday: Mostly sunny. Free air freezing level 12000 feet. Pass winds east 5 to 15 mph.

It's 33F right now and pretty humid. I just heard. Timberline is closed today, back to bed. :)

I won't have to debate much longer.

Too bad for the closure of today.

A weird thing is that when we were there a month ago, they also closed on the 30th (july) because of the winter conditions, with freezing rain...

At least we had a few runs at the beginning of the day...

I'm happy for you that it's still possible to ski down almost to the bottom. It's surprising as I think that it was very hot in the last days/weeks...

Too bad you don't have the Outer West and Bean's Run, but it's not very surprising, as they were in their last weeks, when we were there last month...

I hope you will have a few good ski days later this week :)

Frankontour":87wnrmi0 said:
I hope you will have a few good ski days later this week :)
Yesterday was good, today also. We did a tour along the Columbia Gorge and Mul...Fall.

We actually got some snow today. The whole family was interviewed by a news crew from Portland who can to do a story about the snow fall.

Skiing tomorrow with Morgane then off to the coast for 2 days. I'll back for the last two days.

It feels like Winter outside almost here. It's was 37c and snowing at noon.

Here are the pictures from August 29th and 31th.

Aug 31 - 40F at 7am. Packed powder (okay, it's a slight exageration), but it wasn't the hard icy surfaces of the previous ski day. Everything softened up at around 9am. My daughter joined me at 10am for turns until closing. No wind and temps increase fast. Nice sunny day. It was getting pretty sticking at around noon.

Attachments

• aug31a.JPG
    aug31a.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 4,297
  • aug31-3.JPG
    aug31-3.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 4,269
  • aug31-2.JPG
    aug31-2.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 4,278
  • aug31-1.JPG
    aug31-1.JPG