Greek Peak 12/25/06

Sharon

It was below freezing last night, so that means they had a chance to make snow. We decided to get our asses off the couch and on the hill on Xmas Day.

The white ribbon of death was a narrow portion of Eleysian Fields and most of the width of Stoic...one way down. They did have the learning area, magic carpets and lift 3 running on the Alpha slope as well. It was either beginner terrain or advanced terrain.

The upper part of Eleysian Fields was completely ungroomed bumps. If you like bumps like I do, then you were happy. If you don't like bumps, then you weren't too happy. I saw someone going home after one run. The intermediate skier was having a lot of trouble with this terrain.

I started off on telemark gear, but found the bumps too firm and fast for my slow and outta shape tele-legs. Burning for 2 runs and happy with the coverage, I decided I'd have more fun bashing those bumps on alpine skis. So I broke out my brand new Salomon Scream LTDs I got on SteepandCheap.com last spring. These skis are like the Xtra Hot in dimensions, without the pilot binding. I had a pair of 912S bindings I had replaced with Fritchie AT bindings on my Pocket Rockets, which seemed to be the perfect match. This ski was light and fast edge to edge, which was perfect for the firm bumps. I was getting air off lips and having fun making quick turns on the softening snow.

Temps were around 40. The snow on the lower mountain softened, but the bumps on the upper mountain remained firm yet carveable throughout the afternoon.

There were maybe 10 people skiing during the 2 1/2 hours that we were there. Not much of a crowd. In fact there were as many ski patrollers on duty as there were skiers on the mountain, or so it seemed.

Acid Christ was on duty. He was rippin through the bumps on his Stockli Stormriders...just to keep it challenging. We acknowledged that is isn't Mt Baker or Crystal Mountain, but it was our little hill and we were out there to make the best of it. We had some fun and got some exercise on a virtually empty slope. Acid Christ proclaimed us the most hard-core skier's on the mountain. in my town, I think they may think of me as such. They got me in saturday's paper http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps/pb ... 6612230317

The snowmakers were out there positioning equipment. I thanked them from the lift. They said they were doing the best they could. I acknowledged that they were doing a great job considering the weather they've had to work with and added that it shouldn't be long before Mother Nature cooperates.

Back