Gulmarg, India

"Wow!" I "owe" my wife a trip to Asia since I got to go there (involuntarily I might add) twice some years ago and we do have a "seven continents" goal before we check out of this existence. Maybe she will be willing to let me ski while she eats Vindaloo and scorches her taste buds with various and sundry potent Indian spices.

just returned from 2 weeks in Gulmarg. Amazing terrain, once you make it up the mountain...a lot of patience is required with the lift personnel. Most days would start off sunny with perfect snow conditions, only to see the lifts open at mid day - by which time the clouds had moved in leaving us with zero visibility on the upper mountain.

also expect expert terrain, and very little avalanche control. You need to know your stuff here - avalanche awareness training, or back country experience etc is mandatory I'd say.

and stay away from Peter Robinson's Kashmir Powdercats (guides). The snowboarders are a joke and won't even be able to follow you down the mountain if you're fairly experienced. Snow and avalanche risk knowledge is very limited with all guides. Plus he has the guts to charge you 250US PP for a week of guiding, whereas some good local guides (check with the private ski shop in town) only charge you about 20US per day - and won't charge you when the gondola does not open

Thanks for the info.

BTW I'm sure a few of us who loved to have you share some pics if you have any? :wink:

I am even more convinced that Extremely Canadian is the way to ski Gulmarg. EC requires guests to carry rescue gear and runs a beacon drill the first day, similar to cat and heli operators.

I will inquire how this year's first trip with customers went.

Back