It's that time of the year to start dreaming - opinions

Patrick

Okay, not that this trip will necessarily happened this year, but it might (too many factor to explain here). :roll:

So let's say that I thinking about skiing in late August/early September 2007.

Chile or Argentina versus New Zealand.

If I decide on a NZ trip, it would be more a multi-ski area trip.

So here are the questions?

What should I expect weather and terrain wise. I don't know much about the skiing on that end of the planet

Logistics of a trip in NZ versus South America. Plane, trains and automobiles. Which ones and why?

Ski areas? Which ones and why? I'm open to suggestions.

Have you read about what the NZ governement did a couple a years ago in Powder mag?? They build lodges (cheap lodging and food) in the backcountry with a rope tow to give you (and about 30 others guests) access to the rope tow and to all the backcountry terrain you're able to take!! :shock: That sounds good hey? But for resort skiing, I would go to South America.

I didn't see this when it was a new thread due to the difficulties of the Alyeska Internet-in-the-TV system.

I discussed the general NZ-vs.-SA issues in my New Zealand postings last fall. http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... php?t=2220

Please refer also to the FTO feature article on NZ that I expanded upon at the end of last season. http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index. ... cle&sid=14 Within NZ I do think you would like the rustic, low density club areas. I have not been to any personally, though a couple of the people on the NASJA trip had just been to a couple. They liked the Black Diamond Safari tour operator, so I put a reference to it in the FTO feature. The club areas can be very cheap if you do it on your own, though I'd be inclined to use the tour operator. You get into the central part of the South Island through the major airport at Christchurch, rent a car or campervan and drive about an hour to the Methven area. From that area you can also reach conventional lift service at Mt. Hutt, slightly more rustic lift service at Porter Heights and the new cat skiing operation at Mt. Potts. The big caveat is that Mt. Hutt has NZ's best snow reliability reputation, I got their data on my trip and it averages 191 inches per season. The club areas are in the same mountains at comparable elevations. Don't even think about booking skiing in NZ before August 1. I'd recommend you take Morgane with you if you go to NZ. Adam skied there when he was 12.

I gave my 2 cents worth about South America snow reliability here: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... php?t=1098 . This was before I went to Las Lenas and got some official stats. Those I discussed in the Las Lenas feature. http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index. ... icle&sid=6

From a pure ski standpoint Las Lenas is your best bet, but it would also be the most expensive, as it's so remote you have to stay in the resort, and you're nuts if you go to the trouble and stay less than a week. Guide service is also recommended, sort of like La Grave. Bariloche is the least desirable due to snow issues. Valle Nevado and Chillan are probably the best deals; that's why pending NASJA proposals are focused on those places. Portillo usually works on the one week plan like Las Lenas.

I was in Las Lenas summer. Sick. If you're going for difficult, expert skiing, that's the place to be. Think 5ft+ of powder, endless backcountry, bluebird day with continuous steeps.

You do need a beacon, probe, and shovel and to meet up with some people there that also have this gear and KNOW HOW TO USE IT. I went with SASS last year - they're moving to Baroliche this year to expand... but they contracted out some of the transport stuff to laslenasski.com - and they did a good job.

The nightlife is good (UFO and Budweiser) - but late, it doesn't start until 1-2 AM - the restaurants are also incredible.... haven't had a "good" steak since I've been back.

My trip report is here:

http://firsttracksonline.com/boards/vie ... php?t=2197

There is also Arpa snowcat skiing http://www.skiarpa.com/, which is accessed from the same general area where you would head up to Portillo. When Marte was in extended shutdown last July, Extremely Canadian was considering moving their trip from Las Lenas to Arpa/Portillo in the future if Marte was not repaired by the time of their trip. Marte was repaired by August, so like aaron12345 Extremely Canadian had a great 2 weeks last year and will stick with Las Lenas.

I was considering Arpa/Portillo before the NASJA Valle Nevado/Chillan trip which will be Sept. 5-13. But I have since arranged to hike the Inca Trail in Peru instead so Adam and I will arrive in Valle Nevado a day later than the other NASJA people. But I presume we'll be very well altitude acclimated. We'll get 3 ski days at Valle Nevado and 2 at Chillan, plus a Santiago sightsee day at the end.

If I can make it happen... (read a few green lights + landing a cheap seat)... I would probably leaning toward one week at Portillo and extra days in Santiago and vicinity (including day trip to 3 valleys (Valle Nevado, LaParva, El Colorado). Termas de Chillan if I have more time.

A safari trip which would include Las Lenas would also be extremely interesting, however the odds of such a trip are extremely slim at this point, especially if I'm solo.

Patrick, I had a great time in Portillo last year (and superb skiing). I would recommend it.

This summer, I'll hopefully, be doing the 12 month thing, just the cheap way this time. Working in Glacier National, MT all summer... Hoping to link some snowfield skiing together.

porter

I have our Chile trip booked. 8 nights at Termas de Chillan. Delta frequent flyer miles. All that is left are getting train tickets between Santiago & Chillan and booking a couple of nights lodging in Santiago on either side of the trip.

Snoventures.com":1rfshwcq said:
Anyone heading down to Termas de Chillan should try and book your train tickets before you go as the trains fill up close to the departure dates...
http://www.efe.cl

Great timing for your post. I was just checking into trains from Santiago-Chillàn trains last night.

How bad is it? There are a few trains a day, right? Do they all fill up? I'm still trying to figure out the return, because finding something on-line for buses is driving me crazy...so not sure if I'll leave Chillàn heading back to Santiago at the end of day or early next morning?

All the times are on their website http://www.efe.cl and you can book online (although not sure form overseas)
There are just a few trains a day and they do fill up often.
From Estacion Central in Santiago you can buy tickets if there is any space. If not there is a 'Tur Bus' terminal next door as a fall back option. There is a bus to Chillan every 20 minutes or so and it takes between 5.5 and 6 hours to Chillan. Then the buses to Las Trancas/TDC take about 1.5 hours.
Only problem is there are few buses up the valley from Chillan e.g 8am from the bus terminal a few metres from the train station and where the buses arrive.
Then there is a bus terminal in town which has a bus just outside daily at about 3.30/4pm. There are one or two more each day, but don't know the exact details as they are not that regular/reliably scheduled.
Get to Chillan and ask about the next one. A taxi will cost around USD30/40 to Las Trancas and more to the resort.

Do you know where you will stay yet or do you need some pointers?

Rich

PS if there is time I have an agent in Santiago who buys tickets for us for our clients, but it takes time, with payments etc

This is getting detailed for just a dream option a few months ago isn't it. :wink:

Snoventures.com":gn3x0x21 said:
All the times are on their website http://www.efe.cl and you can book online (although not sure form overseas)
There are just a few trains a day and they do fill up often.
From Estacion Central in Santiago you can buy tickets if there is any space. If not there is a 'Tur Bus' terminal next door as a fall back option. There is a bus to Chillan every 20 minutes or so and it takes between 5.5 and 6 hours to Chillan. Then the buses to Las Trancas/TDC take about 1.5 hours.

I had this part already pretty much figured out 2 days ago.

The following are the times that I'm interested given the fact that I landed in Santiago at 10:25am.

So the plan would to head off to the train station.

Times for the trains to Chillan are:
12:30 - arrival at 17:00
13:30 - arrival at 18:00
17:30 - 22:00 (would have to sleep in Chillan - found a place where I could sleep near train station)

Here are the Tur-Bus buses...(40-45 minutes longer, but 3x cheaper). I haven't decided train or bus (or if the train sells out).

29/08/2007 12:30 Stgo.T.Alameda 29/08/2007 17:45 2.500 CLASICO
29/08/2007 13:30 Stgo.T.Alameda 29/08/2007 18:40 2.500 CLASICO
29/08/2007 14:15 Stgo.T.Alameda 29/08/2007 19:15 2.500 CLASICO

Only problem is there are few buses up the valley from Chillan e.g 8am from the bus terminal a few metres from the train station and where the buses arrive.
Then there is a bus terminal in town which has a bus just outside daily at about 3.30/4pm. There are one or two more each day, but don't know the exact details as they are not that regular/reliably scheduled.
Get to Chillan and ask about the next one. A taxi will cost around USD30/40 to Las Trancas and more to the resort.

This is where I am...figuring out the way to get to La Trancas and then Termas the next morning. (I have some of the times (ALL - I don't know) for some of the buses leaving Chillan. I've been told/read two totally different things. Bus every so hours OR two buses a day. This is what I found out online...

BUSES LINEA AZUL

Origen Destino Tarifa Salida Llegada Destino
CHILLAN TERMAS DE CHILLAN 1800 $ Lunes 08:00 Lunes 09:30
CHILLAN LAS TRANCAS 1800 $ Lunes 15:50
CHILLAN LAS TRANCAS 1800 $ Lunes 19:40

http://www.sernatur.cl/scripts/sitio...p?servicio=984

This information might be incomplete, as it mentioned Mondays only. THE PART THAT IS THE MOST ANNOYING IS THAT I CANNOT FIND RETURN TIMES TO CHILLAN. I read that the bus from Termas-Chillan returns at 4pm. Don't know if I can find a taxi or anything in Las Trancas (???) or Termas (probably).

Do you know where you will stay yet or do you need some pointers?

I think I'm fine, thanks.

I'm eyeing the Hostel Las Trancas. The only issue that I might have is the transportation from Las Trancas to Termas AND back (I've sent them an email on Friday). Read somewhere about a possible shuttle (of course, I didn't find anything on-line), however must people told me that is also hitching a ride from someone else at the Hostel or along the road, however we're talking midweek.

Found a place in Farrellones (not sure if I can get up there via buses in the evening?). The end of the trip is all ready setup.

About tentative plans? Here they are...

Ski Chillan: 30-31
Sept 1: day off or/and travel
Sept 2-4: Ski Three Valleys
Sept 5-8: Portillo
Sept 9: Arpa
Sept 10: Val Paraiso
Sept 11: Santiago and/or maybe ski at VN
Sept 12: departure in the evening

PS. IF THERE IS ANY CHANCES THAT SOMETHING MIGHT HAPPEN (Road closures or other circumstances) AND THAT I'M NOT ABLE TO SKI IN AUGUST at Termas (Ski streak on the line), I might change my plans or take a less risky option.

Maybe you've seen this already: http://www.southamericaski.com/view.asp?p=535 . Some of the Las Trancas lodging includes daily ski shuttle or has it available for extra cost. Perhaps you should choose lodging accordingly.

The same website has the train schedule: http://www.southamericaski.com/view.asp?p=587 . Note that it states if you stay more than 3 nights they include free the transfer to train station.

So why not (given the recommendation about ski quality) spend 4 nights in Las Trancas (3 ski days Chillan), use Sept. 2 for travel, and Sept. 3,4 and 11 for ski days at VN/EC/LP?

Unfortunately both Sept. 1&2 are weekend days, which means you probably can't drive up to Farellones after 2PM. So I think you're in Santiago the night you get back from Chillan. You also need to confirm that you can get down from 3 Valleys AND up to Portillo on Sept. 4, and if so how early you have to quit skiing that day.

Tony Crocker":2rf4ihbi said:
Maybe you've seen this already: http://www.southamericaski.com/view.asp?p=535 . Some of the Las Trancas lodging includes daily ski shuttle or has it available for extra cost. Perhaps you should choose lodging accordingly.

Yes I have, a few months ago.

Still haven't found information on buses leaving Las Trancas/Termas toward Chillan and Santiago, but according to the Chil'in website, there are definitely more than 2 buses/day. There is also the time for the two Santiago-Las Trancas buses.

http://www.chil-in.com/index.php?lg=fr&p=bus

I heard some great things for Las Trancas Hostel, does anyone what Beta for the Chil'in Hostel also in Las Trancas? Ah yes, it is slightly more expensive (night with 2 meals = $26US), but they seem to offer a shuttle service to the ski area. :D

Hi Patrick
The bus times given by the Chillin Hostel should be accurate as they are there and up to date with the times and options.
I have visited the Chillin Hostel and it is a great location in the heart of Las Trancas and looks very comfortable.
The International Hostel is also on the main road although although further up the road towards the resort.
The resort daily buses from go through Las Trancas just outside each of the hostels, you just flag the bus down as it is passing.
Whilst I can't 'recommend' hitching in a season I spent there I managed to hitch up the mountain just about every day, and if the bus came whilst I was waiting I jumped on. ( I have spent 3 seasons in Las Trancas in total with other visits besides.
I only caught the bus once to come back from the mountain.
Yesterday Portillo told me they have nothing in the lodges in early September so you may wan to check that out before you leave.

I browsed the snoventures site, and it looks like they market the same resort, off-piste and backcountry focus trips as Powderquest.

Snoventures.com":2wdlx4sq said:
The resort daily buses from go through Las Trancas just outside each of the hostels, you just flag the bus down as it is passing.(...)
I only caught the bus once to come back from the mountain.

What does this mean? There are no buses at the end of the day (or rare), just in the morning? Or bus are full and you decide to hitch a ride? I heard a horror story on TGR regarding bus at Termas late in the season.

Snoventures.com":2wdlx4sq said:
Yesterday Portillo told me they have nothing in the lodges in early September so you may wan to check that out before you leave.
You scared me this morning... :(

I received an email from Portillo later this morning (sent one last night) confirming that they have room at the Inca or Octogon, although they don't accept reservations less than one week at this stage. But found out that they do accept shorter stays if there is room left on week before. Anyway, that part of the trip is now solved thourgh someone else, I just to decide on the first week. :p

Back