Stowe, VT 11/30/99

Benjie

<I>(Note from the Administrator: This report was originally posted on 12/1/99. Due to our move to new servers, the date and time attributed to this post is incorrect.)</I> <BR> <BR>Considering what the skiing was like 10 days ago, it's hard for me to get too excited about today's conditions at Stowe. But I'm sure it was vastly superior to the skiing 2 days ago, so let's be upbeat about it. Still only one run open, Upper Lord -> North Slope, but at least it's a long, 2000+ vertical run with a fast lift ride. The fresh snow (about 3-6") was soft and fluffy, but grooming and skier/snowboarder traffic wiped out most of it in the first hour of the day. Even if all skis are rock skis, my skis were still not eager to do much off-trail exploring, because that 3-6" was the only snow on the mountain. It did make everything look nice and wintry, though, and the day was pretty sunny with good views of Smugglers Notch and the mountains to the north and south. <BR> <BR>They were blowing snow on Centerline and Lower Lord, I think (my knowledge of Stowe's trail layout could be better), so there will certainly be more terrain opening up in the next few days. But unless you get excited by groomed early season manmade snow, I'd recommend waiting for another good snowfall. Things were pretty skied off by mid-day up there. Was it worth $34? Not quite, but it could certainly have been worse. I would certainly have made the drive up to Jay if they'd been open.

Back