Skiing: A Life to Live

skierpeter

I’ve been living in Indiana for almost six years now. Indiana’s the kind of place where the cornfields dictate where the road goes and you can watch your dog run away for 3 days. Obviously, it’s not the place for skiing as I have found out first hand. <BR> <BR>Of course when skiers think of Indiana the first thought is of Paoli Peaks, or to some “garbage mountain.” Well, I must say that I have not been there, and I don’t see myself there anytime soon. It is just as easy for me to travel north to Michigan and get a decent sized hill after a seven or so hour drive. <BR> <BR>Living where I am, my skiing days have greatly changed. I used to have a season pass at Wentworth Mountain (Wentworth, NS) and head out every day after school for a few great runs. Now I head out west once a year for a weeklong ski getaway and maybe two long weekends at a Michigan resort. This, at least in my opinion, is one of a skier’s worst nightmares and I’m sure there are others out there that can agree. <BR> <BR>For some people, flying to a few resorts a year and spending a week or so at each is an almost regular thing, but when your just a high school student enjoying the “best times of your life” time and money aren’t always available for skiing. It is hard for a kid at my age to enjoy the sport as much as he loves it, but as I think about this, I starting planning what I would like to do after high school, through university and even after that. It is as if skiing has taken control of my life...but in an unusual, yet great way. I would like to attend a university near a ski resort in either United States or Canada (still being a Canadian citizen the doors are still open for either country) and possibly work there part time. Another possibility is to go to Europe for a few months and experience a new culture, while at the same time skiing when I have the time. It is as if skiing motivates me to move forward, to advance in life, and reach my ultimate career of medicine just as my father has done. <BR> <BR>I now spend hours online at ski related websites, reading articles, catching up on the latest gear news, and planning my yearly week of snow somewhere in the world. Everyday I read or look at something related to skiing. Yesterday, I got my September issue of “Skiing Magazine.” I read that thing to the fullest, every page, every advertisement, and even every marketplace ad on the last three pages. If there is something in that magazine then I read it. I am currently waiting for my next issue of Powder which I just started subscribing to. I simply can’t get enough of the sport. <BR> <BR>My bedroom is covered floor to ceiling with ski posters, pictures, and trail maps from various resorts I have visited or that my father has brought back from European trips. I shop eBay continuously for new posters, books, videos and other ski related material. Even down to my Playstation video games where I own Coolboarders 3, Coolboarders 4, and ESPN’s Winter X Games Proboarder. <BR> <BR>This all may sound like an obsession with snow, winter, and skiing. But I simply call it a passion, a passion that pushes me forward, teaches me, and does some things people wouldn’t believe. For me, skiing is a life to live!

It sounds like you know what you want out of life and are working toward getting it. That is fantastic for someone of your age, and you should keep embracing your passion. I started skiing only one year ago (at age 29), having lived in Texas most of my life and not knowing anyone to introduce me to the sport. <BR> <BR>I moved to Seattle last November, in part for the great skiing opportunities. Since the start of last season, I have skied a total of 46 days. This includes a summer mogul camp I attended in Whistler this past July. <BR> <BR>My family thinks I'm insane -- all except for my 16-year-old sister, who I introduced to the sport during her spring break. She's almost an addict now, and is considering attending college in Colorado -- in part, for the skiing opportunities. My friends also think I'm obsessed. But they have never seen snow, let alone glided through it -- poor, dumb, bastards. <BR> <BR>Don't let anyone tell you how to live your life. Do what you have to in order to live, but live for what you love to do. If I had started earlier in my life, who knows where my freak tendencies would have taken me. As it is, I am content to strive for 100 ski days this year, ski my line and surround myself with people who understand what I'm talking about. <BR> <BR>Keep doing what you love, and you will be happy in everything you do. Just don't let skiing kill your grades, unless you think you're good enough to turn pro...

Living on the shores of Lake Erie in Northern Ohio, I was never really exposed to skiing all that much. Sure, there are a few "resorts" near Cleveland but much like the way you describe Indiana,,,the corn dictates where the road goes. Now, I live a stone's throw away from the Pocono Mountain and have gone skiing for the first time in my 39 year existance. Only thing I have to say is I am a fool for waiting so long. I too have spent the past summer surfing the net for ski related sites. My excitement is building now that most sites have posted the schedules and I have even read some reprts from folks skiing in Vermont the past few days. <BR>All in all, I am sad about missed opportunities, but am looking forward to future ones I won't let pass me by. <BR>Skiing has become a part of my life now. Its almost spiritual in a way, to be so close to heaven. Thank God I don't live in Texas.

Our staff writer Dale Hiatt, of Fort Worth, might differ with Anonymous' last sentence! Hopping behind the wheel, or boarding a bus, he can be skiing the next day in New Mexico or Colorado. Now, you could be like this poor First Tracks!! Online editor living in Florida ...

Touche!!! I kinda figured I would evoke some sort of reponse to my "Texas" comment. However, being within an hour's drive to 5 different ski slopes in Pa and Nj and within 4 hours drive to some of the Catskill hills I truly beleive I am in a great part of the country. Although these resorts cannot compare to what's out west, for me personally its ski heaven. I have been to New Mexico (unfortunately in the summer on a hiking trip.) and had a chance to drive up to Taos Valley from where I was staying. I do beleive I will have to visit some day when it is white.

Actually, three members of our magazine staff (yours truly included) will be visiting Taos this February in preparation for an upcoming feature story ... plus Angel Fire, and one or two other neighboring resorts. We'll be looking for digs for the Taos stop - any personal recommendations to share? <BR> <BR>Within shooting distance for you is Ski Plattekill in Roxbury, NY - be sure to check that out for a day. Be careful, though - they're only open weekends (plus maybe Fridays? Not sure ...). They've got natural terrain and a no-frills operation - certainly something worth investigating.

Thanks for the tip on Plattekill. As far as Taos goes, I stayed at a B&B. The name of it is the Mabel Dodge Luhan House. Here is a link to their website---> <A HREF="http://www.mabeldodgeluhan.com/index.html" TARGET="_top">http://www.mabeldodgeluhan.com/index.html</A> . An interesting thing about this place was that during the 60's, it was owned by Dennis Hopper and used to host some major parties. I was told that Bob Dylan among others was one of the frequent guests. I know that the present owners have turned the place into an art colony of sorts. The rooms were a bit monastic but the cost was relatively inexpensive and they served a good southwest breakfast. <BR>The place was also featured in a Arnold Schwarzenegger/Danny Devito Movie (Twins). If you are familiar with that movie, it is the place where they went looking for their mother. Hope this helps you out.

It does, Chris - thanks for the tip. And its nice to meet you as someone other than "anonymous." Stick around - this place will get busier as the season gets underway.

What a pleasant surprise. After posting my "thoughts" back on August 15, 2000 I soon forgot about it. Today I stopped by FT and saw that there are several comments. Just like to say thanks to Amit for the support behind my "thoughts". Glad to see the liftlines starting to liven up after the summer!

The pleasure is all mine Marc. Starting to feel the coming of winter here, no snow yet but the temps are dropping nicely. Was curious about something. Is anyone out that became as obsessed with skiing as I am when they first started. I would love to hear about it cuz I am beginning to think perhaps I have gone over the edge. I find myself frequenting ski shops, driving by the local ski areas just to look at the mountains, and spending all my internet time surfing for more ski sites. My favorites menu takes about a full minute to scroll down. My daughters think that I have lost it. Let me know what you think. Btw, does anyone know of anywhere online where I can get replacement inner boots for my Raichle boots? I tried the Raichle website but it has been 2 weeks since I emailed them and I have yet to get a reply. I guess my next pair are going to be Solomons. Thanks folks

Anyone as obsessed from the beginning?? Amit, care to comment??!! <BR> <BR>As for Raichle, just like any other ski product: your local dealer is your friend and advocate. It's the biggest reason why the mass merchandisers can never do what the little Mom & Pop ski shop can. Raichle made the Thermo-Fit liner, which could replace your old inner boots. <BR> <BR>Other than that, talk to a good bootfitter. You could use other aftermarket replacement inner boots if you wish. Beware ... custom inner boots could cost you, but will provide rewards beyond their price, especially if you have hard-to-fit feet. Green Mountain Orthotic Labs at Stratton Mt., VT would be a good start - you can find their link in our "Ski Links" section.

I'm as guilty as the next guy, but now that I think about it, let's start a new thread when the subject changes so dramatically!

I'm beginning to think it's not very funny anymore. ;-) Skiing has permeated my life! (I LOVE it.) All I could think about on the beach this past July was how much I wanted to be skiing. After a 23 year break from skiing I am totaly obsessed. Last Sunday I found myself in my ski boots crusing the Killington website for conditions. I'll be there this Sunday no doubt! New boots must be broken in! I have pretty much lost interest in other hobbies I've had so I can concentrate on skiing.

Sorry for my absence from this board for so long. I was actually comatose until the snow started falling. My life is now back in full swing as I have just returned from four thigh-burning days in Whistler. <BR> <BR>I see we are discussing obsessions, eh. It's like one of those 12-step meetings. "My name's Amit and I'm an addict..." Let me tell you my tale. Ever since my first parallel turns in April 1999, skiing is all I think about. My family thinks I'm crazy (nothing new there), girlfriends have broken up with me (no loss there, I assure you), and all my cash and travel time go to ski trips. I figure if I take every weekend day, all my vacation time, comp. time and sick days, I should get 50 ski days this season. Then there's night skiing after work. Sound familiar to anyone? <BR> <BR>The way I see it, there are only two types of people -- those truly obsessed with skiing, and those who haven't tried it yet. On this last trip, an out-of-shape, 39-year-old friend who had never skied took his first lessons. Instant addict. Coming off the bunny slopes his first day, he looked at all of us and said, "I finally understand." We replied, "wait until you get into the back country." <BR> <BR>Skiing isn't just an activity, it's a lifestyle. Once you embrace it, nothing will change you back. <BR> <BR>I don't even remember the person I was before I started skiing.

So here I am sitting at home with some crazy stomach flu when you know where I'd rather be. I skied my first Black last time out and I can't wait to get back on top to do it again. My next day off is Wednesday, I guarentee I'll be at Blue Mountain at the top of Challenger.

Hey there boys...hmmm so I get this email from Amit off of the skiing web site and decided to check it out. Not bad, but a little hard to navigate this first time. I will get there. <BR> <BR>As far as the stories go-sorry to the Texans...suckers! I spent my summers as a kid there (Hereford/Amarillo), and I can honestly say I don't miss it. I don't care about A/C-100 degrees is just too damn hot. <BR> <BR>I started skiing at the age of 4. This will be my 23rd year skiing and the 7th teaching skiing, and new to me this year teaching beginning boarding. <BR> <BR>So you guys are cruising to Angelfire huh? Any extra spots for a chick skiier? I have wanted to go there for years now, and I figure eventually I will get there! (even if it requires begging!) <BR> <BR>Nah-I don't think I could get the days off for about a year-new job with 3 days off-I just need to figure out how to get them all of in a row! <BR> <BR>So I guess I will say goodbye for now-As far as you go Amit...I am teaching up at Snoqualmie, so if you guys get a wild hair and are going to head up that way, let me know by email a couple days ahead of time. I will see how many awesome skiier/boarder buds I can get to hook up with you and take you places you have never known were up there! If you have never been to Alpental-GO! Watch put for the trees-unless that is what you like-us locals know! :) <BR> <BR>Brittney at <A HREF="mailto:eek:ff2ski2000@yahoo.com">off2ski2000@yahoo.com</A> <BR> <BR>By the way-what are the average skiing levels of all of you guys? If you just started in 99, I am thinking hard blue/diamond level? Am I close or am I way off? You guys need your photos on the website too so we can see who you are!

In terms of "instant obsession", I blew out my ACL on my second day in 1976 but still came back for more. The knee was swollen for 3 months, but I am among a fortunate 10% minority not to lose stability without an ACL. <BR> <BR>I became reasonably competent with 30 days in 1978-79, still the best natural snow year I have ever seen in Southern California. Since then I have averaged 26 days per season, and also spend a similar amount of off-slope time working on my Guide to Snowfall website, <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/crockeraf" TARGET="_top">http://members.aol.com/crockeraf</A>. <BR> <BR>Warning to new addicts: It will get worse. I've had 5 trips to Canada since 1997 to get more powder.

Geez, the thread that would not die ... <BR> <BR>As for photos, Brittney: some have 'em, some don't ... see <A HREF="http://www.FirstTracksOnline.com/staff.htm" TARGET="_top">http://www.FirstTracksOnline.com/staff.htm</A>, or choose the "About Us"->"Meet Our Staff" options in the drop-down Table of Contents, above. <BR> <BR>OK, I'll bite. 31 years of ski experience here out of 34 on planet Earth. Got into it early when my father was Director of Engineering for Head Ski Co. back in the late 60s/early 70s. Patrolled Jay Peak for 8 years. Obsession? I get 25-30 days a year, despite the fact that I'm stuck in SW Florida. This magazine costs me +/- 5 hours per day, in addition to other full-time employment. <BR> <BR>See? It's not a lifestyle, it's a life.

Back