Help to choose my next destination....

tiritera

Hi everybody, <BR>we are a small group of Italian skiers that usually plan a "powder expedition" every winter to the most challenging places in U.S. and Canada. <BR>What we're looking for is: steep and deep... <BR>We had already great ski experience in Utah (Alta, Snowbird, Deer Valley and Park city), Colorado (Vail and Aspen-Snowmass) and Canada (Heliski in Selkirks, Monashees and Whistler-Blackomb). <BR>For next February/March we're deciding from Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee or Taos..... <BR>Any kind of suggestion is welcome!!!!

Hello Tritera: <BR> <BR>Both are excellent choices for what you want! Much of Taos' best "steep 'n deep" terrain is hike-to, which is good if you don't mind climbing because it keeps the fresh stuff for a while longer. Jackson is just huge, brimming with steep lines. You're sure to love either one for what you want. <BR> <BR>Honestly, if I were in your shoes I'd have a hard time deciding. If you're in Taos between February 16-20, I'll be there with a couple of our writers - let me know and we'll hook up for some runs!

Thank you very much, Marc, for your tips. <BR>I know it's a hard decision! <BR>I have to consult with my friends then decide. <BR>It would be far better if we could decide monitoring the snowfall and choosing at the last moment the place with more powder, but unfortunately we cannot because we have to make the reservation for airtickets and accomodations in advance. <BR>Do you suggest to land at Denver Airport for JH? And for Taos? <BR>Thank u again, and if the choice will be Taos, we will surely meet and....share the powder!

Tritera, Denver airport would be a bad choice. For Jackson Hole, you want to fly right into the airport in town. It's served primarily by American Airlines, I believe, and I'd imagine that their connections are through Denver. It's a long, empty drive from Denver across the prairie of Wyoming. Given the wrong weather conditions (i.e., blowing snow), that drive could get ugly, indeed. <BR> <BR>For Taos, you want to fly into Albuquerque, NM, which is served by a number of major airlines. From there, it's a relatively easy 2+ hour drive to Taos.

Back