Club Med Val D'Isere

mitch

I am starting to plan this years first ski trip, <BR>Club Med in Val D'Isere looks almost too good to be true. The price is great and includes all but hard booze. <BR> <BR>Anybody have any experience at any of the Club Med ski resorts? <BR>Is the trip as good as it sound or too good to be true? <BR> <BR>how about Val D'Isere in general is skiing the glacier worthwhile in Dec if there is no new snow? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>Mitch

I have not skied in Europe, but Val d'Isere might be the first place I'd go based on research: huge and challenging terrain and one of the better areas in the Alps for snow reliability. Even so, the high Alpine terrain and erratic snowfall by Utah/Colorado standards strongly argue for going in February/March and definitely not in December.

My father skied there about 10 years ago. He loved the place, everything about it. Not sure about much details like hotel, ect. But I know he loved the place.

We were in France visiting my wife's family last Christmas. We skied 3 days at Val d'Isere - Tignes just before Christmas (dec20-22). There was no snow in most of the Alps last December. Val d'Isere/Tignes are most reliable because of the altitude, snowmaking and the glaciers. <BR> <BR>We had a great time regardless of the snow and prices were still cheap. The area is massive and we never really skied the same place twice in 3 days. The snow was great above 2,500 meters. From 2,500 to 2,100 m you had to watch for rocks and under that you better ski on the few runs with snowmaking (ie. bullet proof). Between the two glacier of the area, Tignes glacier is way superior (steeper not as flat). We could have skied around the Tignes glacier most of the day, snow there was as good as it could get... By far better than skiing Killington on Thanksgiving for a cheaper lift ticket. <BR> <BR>However the holidays in France are very expensive for the uncertain snow conditions and the amount of tourists that you will have to fight off in the lift lines. <BR> <BR>January is better (cheaper), February/March (snow conditions, but more expensive). This was my second time in Val d'Isere, and it is definitely my favorite in France.

I want to thank all of you for the info and positive feedback on Val D'isere. I did choose the area because of the glacier and year round skiing and it didn't hurt that it was an olympic sight. <BR> <BR>Will report back after my trip in Dec.

The advice came, Mitch, but it took a while! Looking forward to your report - keep us informed.

Back