Big Mountain, MT and Fernie, BC

E Felker

If you have been to Big Mountain, MT or Fernie, BC, I'm interested in your opinions about the skiing, lodging, and overall experience. Would recommend the ski area(s) and would you go there again? When did you go? Powder?? <BR>I'm hoping to visit both places on the same trip. Do you think it is worth leaving Big Mt. for a 2-day trip to Fernie? <BR>Thanks for your advice.. <BR>E Felker

I have been to Fernie but not Big Mountain. I will be visiting both a year from now + 3 days cat skiing at Island Lake. Fernie averages about 25% more snow and probably has more steep terrain. Both areas are renowned for tree skiing. Big Mountain has had an outstanding January for snow this season, probably getting more than Fernie. Due to low altitude and some sunny exposure (more at Big Mountain) both areas are best visited in January/February.

Tony, thanks for the post. Sounds like you can't go wrong at either mountain. I think flying to Kalispell, MT will be very convenient for both places. Now, if I could just get a late January 2 week vacation... <BR> <BR>You should definitely read the postings on RSN.com, Lake Louise Forum because Eldo or his brother details his 3 day trip with Island Lake Snowcat tours. Sounds like powder heaven. Have you seen Craig's Unofficial Fernie Site? It is complete with trail photos and comments. <BR> <BR>Enjoy the Olympics...

I spent 3 days at Island Lake in 1997. That's why I'm going back with my son next year. I correspond some with Craig Morris, and my son and I skied a morning with him in March 1999.

Back