Looking for snow, anywhere!!!

Tyger

Ok, I'm desperate. <BR> <BR>If I wanted to find snow, powder preferred, in April, where would I go? <BR> <BR>I'm thinking out west, or east, I'm really not that picky. Just want to get some more riding in before it all becomes water again. And ice, like what we got here, don't count. <BR> <BR>-Rob

See my progress reports at <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/crockeraf/seas02.htm" TARGET="_top">http://members.aol.com/crockeraf/seas02.htm</A>, last updated March 5. The last week has been a good one, with 2+ feet of powder in the Northwest, Sierra, Utah, and Northern Rockies of both U.S. and Canada. <BR> <BR>If you're really waiting until April, powder is not that likely, but there will certainly be quality skiing many places. On the strength of a big season plus consistent spring corn historically, Mt. Bachelor would be my first choice this year. Whistler, Mammoth and Alta/Snowbird would be good choices, with the latter having the highest chance of fresh snow. <BR> <BR>I'd normally recommend a few places in Colorado too, but not this year as the base is way below average and they could lose it with a warm month.

Tyger, <BR> <BR>Trust Tony Crocker! He knows the snow. Remember, spring conditions are only as good as the depth of the base. I always loved to ski at Lake Tahoe in the spring. The barbeques on the decks are great and the California girls are more beautiful than the views of Lake Tahoe. Squaw Valley has plenty of different sun exposures that help prevent Sierra Cement in the spring. Enjoy! Post a report when you get back.

A key issue in spring skiing is whether the snow freezes overnight. If it does not, you'll be skiing in mush. Therefore Squaw's 6,200 base elevation can be a detriment relative to other Sierra areas. Alpine's base is 7,000 with a complete range of exposures to chase the sun around. If it's really warm, go for Kirkwood and its 8,000 foot base. But Mammoth is still best in spring with 8,900 foot Main Lodge and 11,000 foot peak. <BR> <BR>This year since Christmas there has been a consistent pattern of snowfall declining rapidly as you move south, reaching zero in SoCal and Arizona. In the recent series of storms Tahoe has gotten 5-6 feet vs. 2-3 feet at Mammoth. Therefore Tahoe is certainly preferred now, though Mammoth's surface will always be better after a few warm and sunny days.

The past 2 weeks has really cooked most of the West and the powder is long gone. Bachelor, Snowbird and Whistler are likely best bets for later this April. I was at Mammoth this past weekend and it was OK, but the base is down a lot and the Sierra will lose its cover much earlier than normal this spring. Tahoe is probably very slushy. Avoid Colorado: it got worse instead of better and I'll bet there are plenty of rocks out already. Winter lasted a bit longer in Canada, so Sunshine and the back of Louise should still be good.

Back