Letter to the Editor

Al Reiner

With the demise of <I>Inside Tracks</I> magazine, you are now my main source for current ski news. I finally got a chance to use your booking site and was pleased. I saved $25.00 a night on a 9 night stay in a Holiday Inn Express in Park City. Thanks and keep up the good works.

Thanks, Al! Glad to hear that our travel partnership with TravelNow worked out for you ... to be honest, we use it ourselves whenever feasible to arrange magazine travel, and generally find the prices to be more than competitive. We added that service a couple of years ago to assist our readers in finding deals on travel to ski destinations and beyond. We only make a couple of bucks off each reservation, but every little bit helps to defray our costs and keep FTO going. <BR> <BR>We also welcome your arrival from Inside Tracks. We had a lot of respect for Dick Needham's publication, and hated to see it end in the manner that it did. We've welcomed some of their writers as well, including Tony Crocker who has already contributed some work, with more to come. We've also be blessed with Tony's presence here in our discussion forums. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your comments!

I've been a bit out of touch on my 3-week non-ski vacation. I spent Thanksgiving whitewater rafting the Zambezi River below Victoria Falls. I also caught a few waves at Cape Town and watched some kiteboarders. The kiteboard has the same shape and stance as a snowboard, for any of you looking for an off-season diversion. <BR> <BR>I'm now in Botswana, and while web browsing works, e-mail does not. I've browsed the usual set of ski reports, and Colorado is definitely the place to be. 97% of Vail skiable at Thankgiving is impressive. Other areas of the West are below average or worse, with the NW and Canada looking several weeks behind schedule.

Having just returned from my annual Thanksgiving pilgrimage to Whistler, I must concur with Tony. The West, and Canada, are hurting for snow. It has been one of the driest pre-seasons in decades according to those in the know. <BR> <BR>It looks like us West Coast folks are going to have to travel for snow this year. <BR> <BR>I've done worse for less...

Back