Ski, snowboard, telemark or other ?

What's your preferred method of sliding?

• Ski

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snowboard

• Telemark

• Monoski

• Cross-Country skiing

• Snowshoe

• snow-bicycle (hybrid things)

• Alpine touring

• Other ?

• Total voters

Frankontour

Don't you worry, it's the last poll from me for today !

I just wanted to have an idea of the snow sport you were practicing the most frequently.

Frankontour":1t89iu2y said:
Hmm, a question : what is "alpine touring" ?

A mix of Cross Country skiing + alpine skiing ???

Pretty much correct. It's freeheeling up with skins, then locking the heels down for the descent. Also known as randonnee (I always seem to misspell that!).

Some folks say that it's a French word that translates to "can't telemark." :wink:

I'm workin on the tele thing.Hopefully this year.How 'bout you Marc, have you teled?I had a guy who was a former tele instructor at the Glen who was going to hook me up but he moved away. :cry:
((*
*))NHPH

NHpowderhound":3mvx3sik said:
How 'bout you Marc, have you teled?
I tried it once last year at a tele fest at Hickory. It was fun, but by 1 pm I was happy to have my heels locked again. This year I've gone AT, so that's a reasonable compromise to me.

The tele votes from me. I started last year and I'm not going back. I'm a free heel convert and I'm loving it. I guess I'm really a fringe skier now an 18 year old telemarker, we're pretty rare in the east.

i always wanted to try telemarking, are there places in the east that offer lessons and rentals for that? or do i just have to find a friend who knows...

Jonny D":16ltanlh said:
i always wanted to try telemarking, are there places in the east that offer lessons and rentals for that? or do i just have to find a friend who knows...
Of course! Some of the more prolific ones are Mad River Glen, Jay and Stowe.

However, I highly recommend doing what I did last year: attending a telemark fest. I did so at the tiny Hickory Ski Center in Warrensburg, NY (southern Adirondacks, near Lake George) but there's the NATO festival at MRG, the New England Telemark Festivals, and others. The enthusiasm at the Hickory event was infectious, and others in the raw beginner class with me made the event fun. There's also the cost advantage to trying it at a festival -- the clinics, etc. were included in the price of the lift ticket at Hickory, and they had free boot demos from Crispi. I borrowed a pair of tele skis from a friend of mine and I was all set to go. For what I remember to be $25, I got a lift ticket, lesson, and equipment.

I'm very happy that I did it. Again, though, I won't be giving up my bondage bindings any time soon.

Always wanted to try snowboarding (try it half a run in the late 80). I guess from the ski team was an excellent snowboarder. It's funny I saw two people that I raced with in University are on the Quebec Provincial Telemark Team (they would probably be among the oldest on the team).

I would also to do Cross-Country skiing.

Alpine Touring: would love to do. The problem in the past for the snow slidding sports has always been financial, the cost into getting extra gear or renting.

A friend of might got some alpine touring bindings that fix into his normal alpine ones. So he uses his alpine gear with the binding adaptor (?) and skins.

NHPH, do you have any special ski touring gear? Tele-boots, ski, etc?

Patrick":nxerhz6s said:
A friend of might got some alpine touring bindings that fix into his normal alpine ones. So he uses his alpine gear with the binding adaptor (?) and skins.

Alpine Trekkers from Black Diamond - a heavy way to go about it, and a darned uncomfortable one in alpine boots that don't have a touring mode.

Admin":5tq5688k said:
Patrick":5tq5688k said:

Alpine Trekkers from Black Diamond - a heavy way to go about it, and a darned uncomfortable one in alpine boots that don't have a touring mode.

Yes, It sounds like them.

dewd! where are all the snowboarders?

i always wondered what the difference was between that rondonee and telemark gear.
thanks. ....and knowing is half the battle.

Admin":38v5q3vg said:
Patrick":38v5q3vg said:

You got the right thing but there actually made by a company called backcountry access. I've never used them but what you said is about what i've heard about em. http://www.bcaccess.com/bca_products/alpine_trekker.php

Come to the Dark Side :twisted: :twisted:
Free the heel and the mind will follow.

I did randonee for a season before I converted. Randonee really is French for can't tele :D but the boots were so uncomfortable on the uphill I knew I wouldn't last long. I ditched the Scarpa Lasers for a pair of T2's and never went back. Ain't never going back again.

Every year I hang more and more in the backcountry, loving the choice I made.

Back