Equipment for getting into the woods/backcountry

i am inclined to agree with marc on this one. i remember briefly looking at the fine print plastered on one of cannon's wall's which is on state park land and there were practically more fine print than a privately owned area. not sure about national forest land, but regardless of exact rules i have seen people skinning/snowshoeing at a lot of areas.

BigSpencer":1zvg5q2q said:
I mean, I'm pretty sure I've seen people now & then skinning their way up the lower trails @Sugarloaf.

Steve

I don't know about "high" season, but during the early season I've never been accosted while skining up West Mountain, for instance, when only the Boardwalk and Spillway chairs were running. I've also never been interrupted while skining up anything at the 'loaf afer the lifts close for the season (and Sugarloaf often closes with 80% or better of their terrain open on their last day). Of course, I do expect that if I get hurt then getting off the mountain is my own damned problem.

You'll also see the CVA nordic kids skating up Boardwalk once in a while, but they're "special." BTW, boardwalk looks pretty flat right? Try doing it in the opposite direction some time...

Jay Suds":3t8ziwdx said:
Wowza, I just bought my setup:

165cm Dynastar Legend 8000
Garmont Adrenalin boot
Silvretta Pure binding
Ascension Nylonx ClipFix 120mm skins

And now I am broke!

Ughs!! Wouldn't you believe it, I just went to get my new Adrenalin's fitted, and they are all f'd up. The right boot wasn't manufactured properly and is painful to wear (upon close inspection, you can see that the shell is out of whack), and my boots came both two RIGHT soles. Regardless of the caliber of these boots, it seems that Garmont needs to do some better quality control in their factories.

Since I'm up in Stowe, I'm hoping that I will be able to shoot up to Williston tomorrow and just exchange them directly. Otherwise, I will have to ship them back to backcountry.com and have them ship me another pair.

What a nightmare.

Admin":sds1kod3 said:
How'd you make out in Williston?

Pretty well. They hooked me up with a brand new set of boots, no hassle. The RMA guy (Nate) joked that the Italians must have had too much vino when they assembled my boots. The only pain was driving up there from Stowe in the snow, took about an hour each way with cars off the road all over the place. I've only skied on my new setup for a few hours, so far I like it quite a bit. It's definately very different than what I'm accustomed to :) The first run I took was very funky. Another plus is that I went to InnerBoot Works to get my boots baked and they wanted a 12 pack for payment. :)

Other than that, I've been having lots of work related issues that have kept me really tied to a computer or phone the past few days. I'm not too excited about joining the massive weekend crowd today, but will go out for a few hrs and then ski like crazy Monday - Thursday.

We need some snow, but there's nothing but sun and relatively mild temps forcasted out through next Tuesday, blah.

Jay Suds says:
To some extent, I believe such policies would be dictated by what type of land the ski hill is operating on (private, national forest, mixed). For example, I think that if the hill is operating on national forest lands, then the land is available for use by anyone, even if there's a ski resort there.

except for Bridger Blows(oops, Bowl). there are signs that are posted right next to the skin
track which runs parrallel with a cattrack at the ski area that says
something like, Hikers: stay on on hiking trail.......yada yada......the
sheriff will be contacted and you will be prosecuted. the ski trail runs
parrallel for about 200yrds. i don't think that there would be so many bc
users skinning by to be much of a problem........and to post a sign up that
says you'd be prosecuted for crossing it and skinning along the cat track
trail for 3 or 4 minutes. bridger does lease the land from the forest
service, and therefore they have the "right" to be a-holes about who
gets to use "thier" land.

i will take a picture of the sign if i remember next time i pass it.

Back