mogul skiing forum

joegm

FYI for anyone looking for a serious discussion on real mogul skiing technique there is a new site with a small community of bumpers that has sprung up at
mogulskiing.net
a small site so far but from what i have read , a clear majority are focused on skiing bumps the right way... no psia nonsense seems to be tolerated....

Great group. I've been a part of it from the start. A few members from AZ and K-zone. Small, but growing community. The site is down right now for me, but be sure to check it out.

Never seases to amaze me; every forum has to bust PSIA whether they have an understanding of the 25,000 members and what they ALL TEACH OR NOT. :roll:

psia skiing instruction may serve a purpose....but the irony of it is it is the most narrow minded , limiting type of instruction there is...the psia way is effective for skiing groomed flat packed powder with super side cut skis...if that is what those 25k people enjoy doing, good luck to them.. seems like it would get a little boring though
relative to mogul skiing: psia is a certified joke ...their mogul approach is 100% ineffective in the long term...it is a feel good , illusionary approach to skiing bumps that is so inefficient in anything but perfect snow surfaces and snow conditions...i'll never forget 2 years ago seeing a guy named jeb boyd, a member of the psia national demo team ( google his name if you doubt this ) who used to be the director of the loon mtn ski school. ( he was fired ) a national team member...probably an effective flat skier... i used to see him occasionally skiing the bumps at lot....or should i say trying to ski the bumps at loon with his super side cut skis with the 25 mm risers and plates...what a joke...it was almost embarrasing ... :roll: psia indeed :roll:

joegm":1sd86t5z said:
psia skiing instruction may serve a purpose....but the irony of it is it is the most narrow minded , limiting type of instruction there is...the psia way is effective for skiing groomed flat packed powder with super side cut skis...if that is what those 25k people enjoy doing, good luck to them.. seems like it would get a little boring though
relative to mogul skiing: psia is a certified joke ...their mogul approach is 100% ineffective in the long term...it is a feel good , illusionary approach to skiing bumps that is so inefficient in anything but perfect snow surfaces and snow conditions...i'll never forget 2 years ago seeing a guy named jeb boyd, a member of the psia national demo team ( google his name if you doubt this ) who used to be the director of the loon mtn ski school. ( he was fired ) a national team member...probably an effective flat skier... i used to see him occasionally skiing the bumps at lot....or should i say trying to ski the bumps at loon with his super side cut skis with the 25 mm risers and plates...what a joke...it was almost embarrasing ... :roll: psia indeed :roll:

I believe you miss the entire point of ski instruction, teaching the average skiing population how to enjoy our sport on every type of terrain. If an instructor taught bump skiing at the level the top 2% might ski to the bottom 98%, the class would accomplish very little. I assure you there are many you may have never met who can and do work with the top 2%; I have been fortunate to learn from them.

As far as the team goes, Google the team and go over there names before you make comments please. I think you will find a few top notch skiers in the group and maybe an Olympic medalist. It is not for me to defend a team member but I hope we really do not need to tear down individuals to make a point.

Who would spend hours at meager pay teaching the general public if it were not PSIA; would you do it?

Uncle John":938maua3 said:
joegm":938maua3 said:
Who would spend hours at meager pay teaching the general public if it were not PSIA; would you do it?

I do but not for PSIA. I've been teaching for a handful of years now and am a level 2 PSIA certified instructor. I can taqlk the talk and ski their style when I have to in order to pass an exam and get paid more at my home resort. The point about the PSIA model not working in the bumps is a solid fact.
Here is an example of what really threw me that happened to me last season. I was using a teaching technique that I had learden in a PSIA clinic about 3 years before. I was chastised for using it and told that it was out dated info. Skis did not change, the hill did not change, the snow did not change, so either the lesson was crap to begin with or it was not. Just because there had been a change in retoric this lesson was not to be used.
I teach because I love it. I love to share the sport with people who have never skied and I love to give people a level of confidence or access to better terrain. I work to make people's skiing better, safer, and more enjoyable. If a student likes my lesson, great. if not that is OK too but I get great responses from my students and I am very happy with their level of progress.
There is a great book on the subject that was talked about in year 2-3 years ago called "Everything the Instructors Never Told You About Mogul Skiing" by Dan DiPiro
I HIGHLY suggest that anyone who wants to get better or take a new look as bump skliing reads it.

Back