Recommend me an eastern ice skate

Chromer

Nadine's Atomic TM18s don't have enough edge grip. Neither do my Dynastar Intuitiv 74s.

Someone recommend an ice skate for me. Should I be looking at a race GS or a race SL ski? Bear in mind that current conditions are and will likely continue to be glare ice with groomer track and tiller marks in it...

The Supreme 2090 initiates turns effortlessly, yet has remarkable torsional rigidity for edge grip on ice. It's about the only tool I'd be using out there right now.

I have a pair of leather Reidell's from 1972 which still hold an edge quite well. they are designed for ladies.

Worked great in Lake Placid on the Olympic Oval. I recommend flat ice.

Yeah, I have a couple pair of SK skates with MK and Wilson Pattern-99 blades. Those blades cost several hundred bucks though -- not something I'd want to subject to rocks and grit...

Has no one demoed race-stock boards lately? (I must confess you don't find many at tele demo days).

i couldn't believe the edge hold on the volkl 6*s though i'd recommend them for groomers only. 724 might be a good considerating for an all purpose board with excellent grip, bit heavy and stiff though on both of those skis. i have really grown to appreciate volkl's hold on scratchy conditions.

riverc0il":1kcyszhl said:
i couldn't believe the edge hold on the volkl 6*s though i'd recommend them for groomers only.

My experience exactly.

Chromer":1ktta3j7 said:
Has no one demoed race-stock boards lately? (I must confess you don't find many at tele demo days).

Didn't much think about it, but I'd say I haven't demoed what is now considered a race ski in years. I liked the Volkl 6*, but I don't consider that a real race ski, it's more of a detuned race ski for recreational purposes.

I don't really care too much for GS skis other than just ripping around on demos, and SL skis today are skied so short I just don't personally like them.

JimG.":36rxpt3g said:
Chromer":36rxpt3g said:

Didn't much think about it, but I'd say I haven't demoed what is now considered a race ski in years. I liked the Volkl 6*, but I don't consider that a real race ski, it's more of a detuned race ski for recreational purposes.

That's my thought too. I like Volkls, but I have *no* experience with race skis since before the shaped revolution, my last being a pair of 201cm Rossi 9S and some Kastle (now that's going back a bit!) GS ski. I hear last year's Salomon 3V was pretty good...

I don't really care too much for GS skis other than just ripping around on demos, and SL skis today are skied so short I just don't personally like them.

Fortunately I don't mind short skis. Besides, I'd expect a slalom ski to be super-twitchy. Maybe I should ask Dana what he has in the basement...

Back