Heli-skiing in the Russian Far East, anyone?

Kamchatka!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Admin":5x24h3xl said:
Neat story, great photos. Makes me want to scrape together, oh, $8K or so and go. :roll:

Not me. :? Better ask Tony. :wink: This definitely calls for a feature article. 8)

Kamchatka is sooo much closer to California than Chile, especially if you combine it with a trip to Alaska.

I have a British oil-consulting friend who has talked about a similar venture into the other end of Russia - Caucus/Elbrus.

However, a deteriorating Russian army copter hosting Western visitors around to make ends meet. Not sure. In fact, no way. Especially when the Canadian Rockies could probably do it so much better. I'm sure a lot of first attempts - but in a good way?

Nice read.

This is not the first story I've read about the Kamchatka heli skiing. For those of us always looking for new experiences it could be tempting. No question it would be riskier than in AK or Canada.

With regard to the Caucasus Extremely Canadian scouted the area in 2006 and concluded the infrastructure was not adequate for them to offer trips there. On the same 2006 expedition the visited the new Gulmarg gondola to 13,000 feet in Kashmir, and they are running a trip there each season.

Tony Crocker":39l7evva said:
For those of us always looking for new experiences it could be tempting.

North America - check
Europe - check
Australia - check
South America - check

I believe you still need to ski 3 more continents before you can put a checkmark on skiing on each continent. (sorry I can't find the quote from the archives). Kamchatka or Kashimir would take care of Asia.

You would only need to get some turns (on snow) in Africa and Antarctica. :wink:

Niseko is by far the most promising candidate for Asia IMHO. 150 inches of snow per month average December to February.

Winter is the recommended time for southern Africa safari trips. If you do one of those trips, Tiffendell ski area is 3 1/2 hours drive from Johannesburg. It's very limited and all snowmaking, but if you're in the neighborhood...

Antartica is doable for a price for you tele and AT skiers.

Tony Crocker":31oyu8xr said:
Winter is the recommended time for southern Africa safari trips. If you do one of those trips, Tiffendell ski area is 3 1/2 hours drive from Johannesburg. It's very limited and all snowmaking, but if you're in the neighborhood...

Yep, remember having a conversation with someone that skied at Tiffendell in the old rec.skiing days. :shock: :shock: :shock: However I believe that Morocco still has a ski area, no? There is also Mount Kilimajaro for the more adventureous types (hurry, will there is still snow - this one isn't related to Global warming).

I've never done any research, but it seems that when ski mags or Warren Miller send anybody to Morocco they are always showing people climbing on foot (or with donkeys) and skiing patchy snow in the backcountry.

Many of these exotic sites are not worth dedicated ski trips. But if you're there for general tourism, maybe worth a day or two of your time. Australia was probably the best such example in my own experience.

don't know if i'd be rushing off to russia right now...russia and the u.s. don't seem to seeing eye to eye lately ..

Back