Pine Knob 12-9-2007

mikesathome

The weather called for snow, sleet, ice, and rain falling from the sky, I thought it would be a great day to get out and take some turns at Pine Knob
(AKA DTE Energy Music Theatre)
Temp 29* at the base and peak LOL
Pine knob, 300 vert. 15 ski trails, served by 10 lifts.
Snow was mostly man made snow, hard packed, with some icy spots.
Lifts were $35
All runs and chairs were open, due to the weather the crowds were very light.
3 terrain parks were open, with jumps, rails, and a few boxes.

In regards to the 4 southeastern Michigan ski areas I will list them in order of most open runs, and lifts as of 12-9-07.
1. Pine Knob or Mt holly
2. Alpine Valley
3. Mt Brighoton

Weather for the week looks to be winter like for southeast lower MI:
A MIX OF RAIN...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED TUESDAY
MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING...BEFORE PRECIPITATION CHANGES
OVER TO ALL SNOW BY LATE EVENING. LIGHT ICE ACCUMULATIONS ARE
POSSIBLE DURING THE DAY ON TUESDAY.

ANOTHER STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO IMPACT SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN
WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY...POTENTIALLY BRINGING LIGHT TO
MODERATE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS FAR SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN.

In regards to the 4 southeastern Michigan ski areas I will list them in order of most open runs, and lifts as of 12-9-07.
1. Pine Knob or Mt holly
2. Alpine Valley
3. Mt Brighoton

I have to agree with you on your list except I've never been to Pine Knob.Mt Brighton was so bad I stopped skiing for 6 years. Then I went to Mt Holly and it kinda reminded me or skiing in western Mass. So I started skiing again and I have learned to have fun on these small hills

Welcome, Mi skier. It's nice to see the Midwest section of these forums starting to blossom after, oh...10 years or so. :lol: Mikesathome, much of that credit goes to you -- keep it up!

Admin":1s3kzydi said:
Welcome, Mi skier. It's nice to see the Midwest section of these forums starting to blossom after, oh...10 years or so. :lol: Mikesathome, much of that credit goes to you -- keep it up!
I will be contributing to the Midwest section this year. Should have a trip report from both Boyne Mountain and a southeast hill within the month. Plus a PCMR report before Christmas. Ahh finals are almost over and some serious skiing is heading my way!

Mi Skier, welcome!
It was my first trip to pine knob, and I have to say it was as nice as Alpine, and Mt Holly. I am sad to say Brighton has really gone down hill over the past few years, so I have started to visit the other little local hills, and I am also starting to enjoy them again. I see you are from canton, I have some friends that live there, and I am just east of you in Westland, small world.

n1vek, as seen on first tracks online news section http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index. ... e&sid=3402
Boyne Mt is really pumping out the snow, and with some OK lake effect snows over the past month, they should have a nice base up there. Cant wait to see the report. My Utah trip is planed for early march, can't wait!! w00t!

Admin, great site and great people on it, make it worth while to pass along some information on the midwest.

Back