Buying a helmet

dank

I've been telling myself for a few years that I need to get a helmet. I am actually going to get one now. However, I am in Ohio, not exactly ski country. We have very limited ski shop options locally and having actually worked at one of them a few years ago I know that there is basically no training or knowledge required to sell ski or snowboard equipment, scarry huh. Anyway, I'm trying to find a good resource for helmets, such as reviews and/or what to look for when buying one. I've looked a little bit online and on First Tracks but can't seem to find anything good. Anyone know where I could look? Thanks.

That's a tough one because helmets are such a personal item. Each of our melons is a unique size and shape, so the best helmet is the one that fits best and most comfortably. It's impossible to determine that without trying them on.

Admin":9d8gzn8s said:
That's a tough one because helmets are such a personal item. Each of our melons is a unique size and shape, so the best helmet is the one that fits best and most comfortably. It's impossible to determine that without trying them on.

I also suggest doing helmet and goggles at the same time. You won't know what really works until you get them both on at the same time.

Thanks for the tips, I hadn't thought about whether or not my current goggles will fit with a helmet.

What about stuff like vents vs no vents?? Or any personal expeiences with poorly manufactured helmets that just didn't hold up?

dank":1b4dqyz1 said:
Thanks for the tips, I hadn't thought about whether or not my current goggles will fit with a helmet.

What about stuff like vents vs no vents?? Or any personal expeiences with poorly manufactured helmets that just didn't hold up?

Vents are a matter of personal preference. If you're a sweathog, look at a well-ventilated helmet like a Giro Nine.9. Goggle compatibility is huge -- I won't buy a pair without bringing my helmet into the store with me.

Never had quality control issues with any helmets I've owned.

I think of all the gear that I tried on in a store, my helmet was the hardest decision. Much longer even than boot fitting several boots. Almost as long as molding and custom footbeds including the fitting :shock: Just tried them all on, narrowing down the field, and then had about three or four I was going back and forth on, leaving them on for a while, etc. Seemed like forever before I finally felt confident making a decision. So definitely get to a shop and try a bunch on.

Here are a few key things you'll immediately notice that will better allow you to narrow down the field:

Full dome or more open field of vision: some helmets offer full coverage while others cater to the park and jib crowd with more open feel.

Ear flaps or no? Removable ear flaps are nice for spring skiing.

Plugs, vents, etc. How do you want to vent the helmet. Some helmets vent with just the slide of a switch, others you need to take the helmet off and remove plugs.

Integrated audio: If you are into that sort of thing....

Those are the easy questions that should allow you to narrow things down a bit. The fancier options cost more. Fit matters most though and don't forget that helmets pack out slightly. You don't want something too tight but definitely don't want a loose helmet either.

Back