61* In Southeastern Lower Michigan

mikesathome

Heavy Rain, and warm temperatures has closed all of Southeastern Lower Michigan ski areas.

Most are reporting a re-open date of Wednesday 1-9-2008

Conditions will be crap until we get another snow storm.

my Lake Tahoe Trip can't come soon enough

until then I have to ride the stationary bike to keep the legs sharp.

January thaw? More like January spring!!
:evil:

I don't see how they are going to open tomorrow. Unless they really have enough snow on some of the trails to withstand the warm weather and rain. It was 56 this morning at 7:00 am in Northern Ohio. At the very least they need it to cool back down so they can make snow. Doesn't look like I'll be skiing this weekend either. Like you, I am counting the days until I head out to Colorado in March. But we are going to try Peak n Peak at the end of Jan, hopefully there will be more snow by then.

I am with you on the re-opening date dank, we had tornado watches last night, and LOTS of rain.
My friend out in Brighton said there is almost no snow left on the hills.

I am used to a January Thaw, but NEVER this early and this warm and this long.

Hey, I am hitting Colorado in march also. Thinking Brek or Frisco area, about to lock down some flights and rooms.

That's going to hurt them really bad, I was hoping they would have a good full season after last years warm start.

We are going to Keystone for the first week in March, big family trip, some people are still in school so it has to be spring break time. Those of us who plan to ski at least 5 days bought the A-Basin bonus season pass. You get 5 days at Keystone or Breck plus some other options for $309 but they are sold out now. That was the best deal we could find. And since i've got an A-basin season pass I'm trying to get back out there in April too. Can't wait.

Thats a good sounding trip Dank, lots of skiing!

I will be in the same area about 1 week later for 6 nights. Looking at Grand Timber Lodge studio (ski in ski out), they also have a 4 pack of ski lifts good for Breckenridge, Keystone or Arapahoe Basin for $159 ($40 each) BUT i might have to do 1- 90MIN Tour on one of the my 6days I am there (rest day), I have done them before at Boyne MT so I can weather the storm of sales people for 90mins to save a few $$ :wink:

So you got that 4 pack by signing up for a condo pitch or something like that? Sounds like a pretty good deal, but what's this nonsense about a 'rest day'?

Oh, and you are probably going to be setup for some great snow if my luck holds. The last 2 times I went out there in early March they got dumped on the next week.

Hehe, I thought I might catch some crap about a rest day :oops:
That rest day is always subject to change.

Well Dank I hope your unlucky weather pattern holds true, as I always thought it was me that just missed the big snows ;)

Yes, Grand Timber Lodge is giving me 4 lifts for taking a 90min tour at a cost of ($159). I guess it's like a season pass with your picture on it, so you can't take the tour and then give a friend or family the lifts.

From what I can tell, they have a several ways to ski in/ski out of this place.

Skiing In and Out of Grand Timber Lodge

Skiing Out to Peak 8:
Simply walk down the driveway of the resort to the Grand Timber Lodge sign in front of Building 1, cross the street, step into your bindings and ski a short distance down to the Snowflake Chairlift! This lift will take you to the top of some beginner runs on Peak 8, where you can easily ski down to four lifts including the Colorado and Rocky Mountain SuperChairs.

Skiing Out to Peak 9:
Walk to the south end of Building 5 - right by Christy Sports, put on your skis, ski 50 yards, take off your skis and walk 140 paces to the Beaver Run SuperChair. This chairlift will take you to the top of Peak 9 giving you access to all of the trails there as well as a quick way to get to the Falcon SuperChair on Peak 10.

Skiing In from Peaks 8 or 9:
To ski back into Grand Timber Lodge, you must ski to the trail called Lower Sawmill, which you will see on your trail map is between Peak 8 and Peak 9. If you are on Peak 9, ski down to the base of "C" Chair and you will get to Lower Sawmill. If you are on Peak 8, you can get to Lower Sawmill from the Four O'Clock trail by taking a right off of Four O'Clock trail onto Lower Sawmill (if you are on Peak 10, you must get to the top of Peak 9 and ski down to the base of "C" Chair, and if you are on Peak 7, you must ski down to the Colorado SuperChair on Peak 8 and ride it to the top to get to Four O'Clock trail).

To get Buildings 1 through 4 (easiest trail):
Once you ski past the bottom of "C" Chair on Lower Sawmill, look for the Snowflake Trail on your left. When on the Snowflake Trail, ski until you see the sign on the tree for Grand Timber Lodge. It will be on your right. Follow the sign and you end up on the north side of Building 2. The Snowflake Trail is pretty flat, so you may have to pole or skate part of the way if you don't have enough speed.

To get to Buildings 5 & 6 (recommended for skiers intermediate and above, and for those who don't want to pole or skate part of the way):
Look for the next left off of Lower Sawmill after the Snowflake Trail. Follow this trail and it will take you right to Grand Timber Lodge by the Christy Sports shop on the lower level of Building 5. This year the ski area will be grooming this ski-in access so it will be more moderate and accessible for most skiers.

Caberfae and Crystal weathered the warm temps rather well. I skied both this past weekend. Plenty of snow at both with no bare spots on the runs. However, I will say Caberfae's conditions were better than Crystals. (In Crystal's defense, I skied there on Friday night and they said the heavy new snow came AFTER they groomed. However, Thor, Loky, and to some degree Buck were covered in thick, unpredictable, and no fun type of snow.) On Saturday, Caberfae was groomed really well. On Sunday, Caberfae had a lot of fresh snow...the good type, not the heavy wet stuff.

Looks great out there now!

Thanks for the report Annmarief, I enjoy Crystal MT, I need to make it back there one of these days.

Next time you have a ski report, start a new post, that way people can find them a little more easy. :wink:

Back