Peek 'n Peak 1/26 - 1/27

dank

I know Peek ‘n Peak is in New York, but it is barely in NY and doesn’t feel like Eastern skiing to me, it definitely feels like Midwest skiing with only about 400’ vertical. Plus there were more Ohio and PA plates than NY plates in the lots.

We arrived about 9:30 am on Saturday with a large group and probably didn’t get on the hill until close to 10:30. It still wasn’t very crowded at that point. The temp was about 15 F with light snow. The light lake effect snow continued the entire day with periods of heavier snow, but accumulations were probably in the neighborhood of 2 -3”. They reported a lot more but I just don’t see how. Though, there is plenty of snow on the ground and in the trees. It stayed cold most of the day, the car read 22 F when we left at 6:00 pm. The ice wasn’t too bad until the afternoon when the crowds started to pickup, and it did get a little crowded in the afternoon. They claimed to have 100% of the 27 trails open but they were racing on 1 trail and the finish of the race forced the closure of another trail that emptied out at the bottom of the race course. They had all lifts running. One major suggestion, on a Saturday morning you need to have more than 1 ticket window open at the main lodge. I don’t want to wait in a 15 minute line to buy my tickets.

Sunday morning provided probably another 1-2” of actual new snow (they reported more) but it was groomed in on most of the trails. It was warmer, about 27 F at 9:00 and it was mostly sunny. The crowds were even less on Sunday and they had all trails open as the racing was done. We only stayed until about 2:00 as we had a 5 hour drive home to look forward to. All lifts were running and they had 2 ticket windows open this time.

Overall, the terrain is comparable to most Michigan ski resorts in my opinion. There wasn’t anything too terribly challenging. I was told by someone else that they really don’t like you skiing in the trees there. I’m not sure how that compares to other places, but I did get yelled at by a ski patroller “That’s not a trail!” as I came out of the tress once. I’ve never gotten that anywhere else. Their 27 trails really are almost 27 trails. They don’t appear to have too many small connecting trails that they inflate their count with. I didn’t venture into the terrain parks, but it looks like they have a decent setup with separate small, medium and large areas. The small, or beginner area, was packed. We ate in the bar/restaurant Pizzazolis (or something like that) Saturday and the cafeteria on Sunday. Even with the reduced crowds the cafeteria was very crowded and very hot. Pizzazolis was good food and they didn’t gouge you, about $13 for a 12” pizza w/2 toppings, and $6.50 for a meatball sub. They had pasta dishes and soups and salads as well. Only downside was that they allowed the race crowd to leave their bags strewn about the restaurant. They were shoved under the tables and along the walls. It made it difficult to navigate the place and it was confusing as to whether a table was available or not.

I was told by someone else that they really don’t like you skiing in the trees there. I’m not sure how that compares to other places

They have glade skiing runs at both boynes, and nubs in Michigan. As long as there is snow in the woods, you can ski it. You can even "hike" to some glade runs at nubs nob just left of the new super halfpipe.

Thanks for the report!

I know about the 'glade' runs that you are referring to. I was referring to trees inbetween runs that aren't official runs. I've never been scolded by ski patrol before as I am always in control and don't really do anything stupid (though my wife would disagree) or beyond my limits. So it was just a curious observation.

dank":32mknhx9 said:
I know about the 'glade' runs that you are referring to. I was referring to trees inbetween runs that aren't official runs. I've never been scolded by ski patrol before as I am always in control and don't really do anything stupid (though my wife would disagree) or beyond my limits. So it was just a curious observation.

OKAY, I see what you are saying now. I never go into the woods, unless the trees are spaced out well. Most of the trees between the runs at boyne and nubs are pretty thick and have lots of fallen trees (I ride MT bikes up there in the summer). But in big snow years I do see a lot of kids skiing in them, and don't recall ski patrol kicking them out. I would assume snow pack has a big part in the way patrol handles people in the woods.

Back