Liberty 02/12/08

itbeme

EXCUSE THE YELLING, BUT THEY WERE BLASTING THE GUNS ALL DAY AND I'VE GONE HALF DEAF!! Oh well, if it weren't for the snow guns, we'd have little to no skiing here in the mid-Atlantic, especially this year.

Time flies. The last time I skied here was circa 1969, when it had a different name (Charnita). Gone is the hockey rink sized ice slab (smooth, shiny and thick) I slid off so many years ago. Also gone is pile of rocks I slid onto, probably covered by 40 years of decomposed fall leaves. Also no sign of the ice-covered rope tow of which I have such fond memories. Thankfully, snowmaking, grooming and ski hill management are all much better today. I hardly recognized the place.

Liberty, located in southern Pa, near Gettysburg, is the closest ski hill to Washington and perhaps Baltimore also. It boasts a verticle of 1,100 feet (550 ft front side plus 650 ft back side equals 1,100, right?). OK, it's definately vertically challenged. But it has great snowmaking capacity. Last week we had another bout of upper 60's to lower 70's in the area, but with just 36 hours of winter temps, Liberty had all trails open with several inches of new "powder."

The back side is more challenging than the front, being all blue and black runs. The black runs are short from the top of the hill, which flattens out somewhat about a third of the way down. It is what it is, and I think they have done a very good job making the most of what they have to work with (including the mild winters the past several years).

The front side, in my opinion, would be an excellent place to take someone to learn to ski. Several broad gentle slopes with plenty of snow, served by a couple of chair lifts. If it had been that way in 1969, I probably would have returned sooner. A lot of kids from Maryland and D.C. were skiing at Liberty today (schools used for primary election voting), but there were no lines. It even snowed off and on, adding about an inch of natural to the machine snow.

I'll definately return, probably after we have had some natural snow, or after we have had several days of snowmaking so they don't have to run the guns day.

Attachments

• Liberty back side lift lines2.jpg
    Liberty back side lift lines2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 14,216
  • Liberty short black2.jpg
    Liberty short black2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 14,201
  • Liberty view to Gettysburg2.jpg
    Liberty view to Gettysburg2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 14,198
  • Liberty snow2.jpg
    Liberty snow2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 14,199
  • Part of Liberty front side1.jpg
    Part of Liberty front side1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 14,205
We continue to see reports yhis year from places that never yielded a report before. Way to go, itbeme!

I read the title of the thread and had been expecting some kick butt BC action from the Whites. :lol: Certainly nice to see the varied TRs coming in from more diverse areas as admin mentioned.

:D Yes, I realize that the mid-Atlantic isn't exactly a mecca for skiers, but many locals from DC and Baltimore learned to ski at these places and still head there from time to time to keep in shape for trips to other regions, or just have a little fun with friends/family. I am happy to share my modest experiences. BTW: I just posted a question in the Western Forum, which perhaps one of you can answer.

itbeme":35iws8a7 said:
Liberty, located in southern Pa, near Gettysburg, is the closest ski hill to Washington and perhaps Baltimore also.... OK, it's definately vertically challenged. But it has great snowmaking capacity. Last week we had another bout of upper 60's to lower 70's in the area, but with just 36 hours of winter temps, Liberty had all trails open with several inches of new "powder."

Yep, I know this place well, as it is the closest ski area to me here in M.A.S.H. In the Mid-Atlantic long periods of thaw are interspersed between short periods that support snowmaking. Although Liberty is vertically challenged, its western and northern exposures and short stature are a good formula for success in our poor snow climate. Liberty has also invested heavily in the most modern computerized snowmaking equipment, which allows them to recover from thaws almost overnight.

During the season, I'll night ski there to keep my skills sharp and to test equipment before going west. Liberty has a decent ski school for all PSIA levels (no steeps clinics, however) and offers several educational programs that enable clubs to greatly reduce expenses for their members.

Last Saturday night was my first ski day this season, as I've been laid low for the past several months with debilitating migraines and their side effects. (In normal years, I'd have skied 15+ days by now.) To celebrate my improving health, I headed up to Liberty and skied with my buddy, Tom, who patrols there. The evening began with spring conditions but the surface firmed up to hardpack by the night's end. Although this is not the most exciting hill, that familiar elation that only skiing evokes came back like a rush. To put it succinctly, I had a blast! And yes, my skis also got a little gouged--after all, this is M.A.S.H.

Cheers,
Jeff

Happy to hear that things are improving and you're getting out there again, Jeff!

Back