Trip Report - Highlands & Nub's Nob (3/28 & 3/29)

irishskier

Trip Report - Highlands & Nub's Nob (3/28 & 3/29)

Great spring skiing!

3/30 was the Highland's last day of the year. It was near deserted on Saturday. They still have the most snow I can ever recall at this time of the year. Super conditions, snow stayed fairly firm until 3 pm.

Nub's was very good on 3/29 as it always is. They have another week left as the close on 4/6.

Get a few more turns in while you have time!!

I was at nubs on 3-29-08- fantastic weather and great skiing/ride'n all day long.
Nubs terrain park was in excellent shape, and IMO is still the best in lower Michigan.

Attachments

• nubssm1.jpg
    nubssm1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 8,838
  • nubssm3.jpg
    nubssm3.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 8,835
  • nubssm5.jpg
    nubssm5.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 8,849
  • nubssm4.jpg
    nubssm4.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 8,831
  • nubssm2.jpg
    nubssm2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 8,831
The vertical may be puny, but you can't say that the snow cover is on its last legs from those pictures.

I'm guessing the scheduled closing dates, as at so many areas, are due to lack of interest as spring approaches. And maybe this was a very good year (I don't track the Midwest). These places are more than daytrip distance from the metro areas of Chicago and Detroit, right?

Tony Crocker":yrwd0b80 said:
The vertical may be puny, but you can't say that the snow cover is on its last legs from those pictures.

I'm guessing the scheduled closing dates, as at so many areas, are due to lack of interest as spring approaches. And maybe this was a very good year (I don't track the Midwest). These places are more than daytrip distance from the metro areas of Chicago and Detroit, right?

Snow cover was really good for this time of the year. Snowfall for the year was a little above normal (150" in Gaylord to date)

Of course with lake affect snows, that total can very a lot in a very short distance because of the narrow bands of heavy snow that can develop.

With irishskiers reports of nonexistent lift lines (I also experienced the same) on such a beautiful Saturday spring skiing day, 100% open and reduced lift rates, it must be skier turn out and not lack of snow :(

Nubs and Boyne mt/highlands are about 4 1/2 hours from metro Detroit. I would guess about 6 hours from Chicago, so yes it is a little far for just a 1 day trip.

Just 60miles north west of Boyne/nubs area they are currently under a blizzard warning and are expecting 10" - 20" of snow, I was hoping this would track a little more south so Boyne/Nubs would get some. Boyne/nubs are on the rain side of this storm, might only see 1" - 2" on the back side when the cold air moves in.

Great season in Michigan from beginning to end this year. As always, would have liked to have gotten out a little more. But like it was said before, the 'good stuff' isn't quite doable for a day trip. Sounds like I need to get a place up there like irishskier.

Also, good to see a few more posts in the midwest section this year. Maybe a few more next year too. Wouldn't mind hearing a little from Ontario or the UP.

Well, time to get the bike off the trainer and out of the basement.

dank":20odlclu said:
Also, good to see a few more posts in the midwest section this year. Maybe a few more next year too. Wouldn't mind hearing a little from Ontario or the UP.

Agreed. The key is to stay active in this sub-forum during the off season, maintaining the small community that is now forming. That will draw others from the Midwest and allow it to pick up next winter where it left off, rather than having to start again from scratch.

If anyone here would like to fill a role as moderator in the Midwest forum let me know, as that would give you a vested interest and not really require any effort of substance other than to keep the ball rolling in the right direction.

dank":1kkf2zlf said:

It's good to see an increase. I mainly do TRs for myself, because not many people might be interest in Ottawa local skiing. However it's all the better if any people find the information useful. For Canadians, the term Midwest doesn't really apply to us. :wink:

Mike -

Thanks for the great pics, I always seem to forget or decide not to bring the camera. Headed up for one last hurah this weekend - should be another good one! I think Boyne Mountain will stay open weekends only until teh snow if gone. However, if last weekend was any indication, the crowds have vanished.

And yes, let's all keep posting!!

Back