St. Anton, Austria - March 8-14, 2008

Lftgly

The second week of March brought late spring snow conditions to St. Anton, Austria.

IMG_2412StAntonSign.jpg

Our hotel in St. Anton am Arlberg had great food every night, and great service.
IMG_2332hotelMooserkreuz.jpg

IMG_2411hotelMooserkreuz.jpg

Sunday was sunny, and eventually softened up right to the summits (about
2800 meters); we explored inbounds and off piste around Galzig and Valuga.
IMG_2329s.jpg

IMG_2330s.jpg

Monday we took a bus up the Arlberg Pass to Lech and Zurs, and found a foot plus of untracked powder runs a short traverse off piste, under blue bird skies in the morning. But the upper lifts shutdown after Noon, as a weather front moved in, bringing clouds and high winds.
IMG_2336Dee.jpg

IMG_2340DeeTurn1.jpg

IMG_2341DeeTurn2.jpg

IMG_2342DeeTurn3.jpg

IMG_2346DeeLech.jpg

Tuesday, we hit the north-facing aspects on Rendl, made 2 back country runs in 6"-8" plus of new powder; 1 down Robssfall (a short hike back to the lifts, along a road from closed for the winter), and another down the back of Rendl all the way back into town. Wish we could have done more o.b. skiing, but these 2 runs were great!
IMG_2359LindsayMarielle.jpg

IMG_2361MattRendl.jpg

IMG_2365RendlRossfall.jpg

IMG_2367Rossfall.jpg

IMG_2370Rossfall.jpg

IMG_2372HinterRendlMarielle.jpg

IMG_2375HinterRendlJim.jpg

IMG_2377HinterRendl.jpg

IMG_2379ApresSkiAtGalzigbahnBase.jpg

Wednesday we got a day of rain below 1800 meters, and the lifts above that elev were shut down due to 50 km winds and blowing snow, whiteout conditions; I quit after 3 runs Wednesday.

Thursday followed with 18" to 20" of powder, just a fantastic day spent doing laps off-piste on the Galzig. The upper lifts were all closed due to avy danger. I wish we had more days like this, but at least we got 1 sick powder day.
IMG_2386GangsAllHere.jpg

IMG_2391MarielleTurns.jpg

IMG_2393MarielleTurns.jpg

IMG_2397cornice.jpg

IMG_2405s.jpg

IMG_2400s.jpg

IMG_2402s.jpg

Friday, we were again met with rain in the valleys, but the rain-snow line was at lower elev. We were able to ride a gondola up above the rain on Rendl, and spent the morning doing laps in a foot of untracked heavy snow, though I quit early due to the flat light and poor visibility.

Great post, lftgly! Looks like a great trip.

Sorry, but I cleaned up those image tags so your post would fit the page width. Although I do feel somewhat dirty that they're using Greg's bandwidth -- posting the images here would use our bandwidth instead and eliminate that problem.

Back