Living down under

knotty_ski

I would absolutely love to come to New Zealand and spend a summer skiing there THIS summer. I'm a Level 1 certified ski instructor and would like to instruct at a resort there. I know nothing about embarking on such an adventure and would like some advise on what resorts to look at, what towns, to look at, logistics, anything to help me on my way. I live in Pennsylvania in the United States so that's where the adventure needs to begin.

Help me Please!

Wow man, Taking the Big Southern.
My family would FREAK but I would still like to look at doing this with you. We need to talk about it more. I really missed being on skis last weekend, it was my first miss of the season. Stupid real job...

knotty_ski":1v2dadz8 said:
I would absolutely love to come to New Zealand and spend a summer skiing there THIS summer. I'm a Level 1 certified ski instructor and would like to instruct at a resort there. I know nothing about embarking on such an adventure and would like some advise on what resorts to look at, what towns, to look at, logistics, anything to help me on my way. I live in Pennsylvania in the United States so that's where the adventure needs to begin.

Help me Please!

As I understand it, PSIA Level 1 doesn't mean jack outside of the US. Get your Level II as fast as you can. Adding additional certs like Nordic Downhill will help add to your "value."

Chromer":2pblgfeu said:
As I understand it, PSIA Level 1 doesn't mean jack outside of the US. Get your Level II as fast as you can. Adding additional certs like Nordic Downhill will help add to your "value."

Right on the money; in fact, many resorts in the southern hemisphere won't even look at you without the level III cert. Understand that most of the instructors who teach there are year round skiers and many are PSIA examiners and demo team members.

One of my enduring thrills in teaching was getting an unsolicited invite to teach in Portillo. Too bad I'm a family man and can't toss it all to go there for a summer!

JimG.":7pm8qakt said:
Right on the money; in fact, many resorts in the southern hemisphere won't even look at you without the level III cert. Understand that most of the instructors who teach there are year round skiers and many are PSIA examiners and demo team members.

Although I have never been a ski instructor, I have a few friends that have been and look to teach in New Zealand in the past.

1) First one went and try to stay there and teach. It was a bad year for new outside instructor and they weren't going to hire anyone extra, she did some of the courses (for fun). This was maybe 10-12 years ago. I am still in touch with her, if you liked more info. I believe she was a level 2 CSIA instructor at the time.

2) Other left on a ski-bumming trip. Found and was HIRED at Whakapapa in the North Island (this was maybe 15 years ago). Same lever instructor.

3) Good friend hired in 1988 and 1989. He had worked a few years full-time and was Level 3 CSIA (maybe 4) at that time. Everything was planned prior to leaving, he had found something for his girlfriend also (level 1 or 2). I believe he had made a few contact the first Winter (1987-88) he was in Whistler. He is still in BC, I could ask him more info if you want.

Good luck. Jim and Chromer are right, higher certification can only help, but you also need to start making contact soon.

Ah yes, where? The last two friend were in Queenstown (South Island). I believe the third one worked one year at Coronet Peak and the other at Remarkables.

You can always find work doing something. I once rolled tortillas for $3 an hour with my Sweedish Flatmate. He said, "Ah, it is a hard life to be a ski bum ya?"
I've spent 6 full seasons down in the South Island. First in Queenstown, two at Trebble Cone doing Race Crew just for the pass, two more working as a Chef at Ohau for my room and board, and one season at Mt. Hutt doing Burton Testing.

Where there is a will, there is a way!

100 NZ pictures can be found here:
http://www.baconzoo.com/library/categories.php?cat_id=8

southern_alps_lg.jpg

Back