Jay VT - May 4, 08

Patrick

It wasn't SUNday...it was RAINday. 8) 8) 8)

I was in Montreal on Saturday, so better to take advantage of it. Unfortunately the forecast was less than ideal. Rain everywhere...I hadn't made my call on where to ski. The best lift served skiing option was the Loaf. The worst was MSS with 2 runs at $39. In the middle were the Bush and Jay. Three of them weren't sure of opening on Sunday due to the forecast rain. Sugarloaf was out of the question was too far with this weather and going solo. I had to wait until I got a confirmation on the call that Jay was going to open. Got it at around 8:30am...Called MSS, no news - MIA. Left Montreal in a light drizzle.

After a long detour on Autoroute 10 (WTF was that???), I got into a virtually empty Stateside parking lot. Got changed and eat a sandwich, I got ready. As I headed out for the short walk to the Jet chair, I meet face-to-face with a couple of FTO fanatical skiers. One of them was going to change his skis. Not surprised to meet up with these hardcore skiers.

Okay, what is official open?

Here is the "Runs" down. ;)

1) Haynes/Mont L'Entrepide - First run, hood was doing down too low, couldn't see much. Skiing in an aquarium feeling. Snow was pretty corny. :p The last time I skied this run was back in pre-lift October 06.

2) The Jet - Second run. Same type of Spring snow. Good coverage, however I never really like this trail. It's a straight liftline trail.

Trail that wasn't mentioned as being officially open, but it's was open. Sign on top mentioned walking required.

3) Montrealer/Angel's Wiggle/Paradise Meadows - 3rd run. Great coverage, harder surface, but still soft. Not many bare spots. Only walking was for the connection to the Jet triple.

Other trails:

4) Kitzbuehel - Branch on Skier's Right. Harder surface bumps. Maybe 1-2 spot to walk or/and tight connection. Notice that the other branch on Kitzbuehel has better coverage. Connection walking back to Jet trail via Heaven's Road. FTOers in lift see me, mentioned that they'll wait for me at the top.

5) Kitzbuehel - Branch on Skier's Left. Did the way better side with FTOers and friends. One of the FTOer had changed his skis for some good old Rossi 4S. Great...

6-7) Kitz Woods/Hell's Crossing/Angel's Wiggle - Great coverage, rotten and dirty snow, but fun obstacle course, especially the exit through the bushes onto Hell's Crossing.

8 ) Derick Hot Shot/Mont L'Entrepide - Fun and bumps again. A few tight spots, but nothing major.

9-10) Kitz Woods/Hell's Crossing/Angel's Wiggle - again because it's so much fun.

11) Montrealer/Catwalk(walking)/Northway(climbing on snow)/Upper and Lower Can-Am - A treat for the last run of the day. Can-Am. :D Coverage was almost continuous on Upper Can-Am. Nice hard Spring surface, not mush. Highlight of the day for all of us. Shared a beer at mid-run (thanks guys).

Lower Can-Am was more a connection on snow patches. I'm amazed how little rocks there is on the grass. Made it almost down to the bottom of the Bonnie chair without removing my skis. Okay, it included some no snow sliding.

Started skiing at noon and it's stopped raining at my 8th run.

Great day, great fun and great companionship (almost sounds like a beer commercial).

There was a car crash somewhere after exit 48... In a straight line, a car just lost control and flipped over and over and almost made it across to the other direction. The car was a total wreck... couldn't tell what kind of car it was... a compact or mid-size but that's it!

When i passed through going back to Montreal there was at least 5-6 police cars with lights and people taking measurements of tire tracks and such... I say it didn't end good... I didn't see any ambulances... so probably this happened a while before i was going through there... It was about 9H45-10H00 when i crossed the accident.

BigJay":3208xjl3 said:
There was a car crash somewhere after exit 48...(...)It was about 9H45-10H00 when i crossed the accident.
Thanks, I left Montreal at 9am. I thought maybe it was construction although there was a police car and a truck blocking the Auroroute. I

That was a huge detour, highway 112 is a few km from the Autoroute. Travelled the equivalent of 2 exits into Marieville and St-Césaire...easily added an extra 30 minutes of travel.

classic!

n4402453_31041895_6323.jpg

What a great day!

Gpetrics coming up with a Patrick sighting.

Those 4S really slayed. Here are a few more pictures.

n4402453_31041883_2834.jpg

n4402453_31041885_3398.jpg

n4402453_31041897_6908.jpg

Thanks for photog-ing patrick.

Since I enjoyed those 4S so much, I think I'll take em down the baldy chutes when I get to Alta in a few weeks.

salida":f6cdf3ps said:
gpetrics":f6cdf3ps said:
just about time to change your "Location" salida

Lets not jump the gun. I don't have a place or a job yet...
You could just change it to just "Wandering". :wink:

Gpetrics, I didn't realize there was a picture of me taken. (I want it :D ) Judging from the fact that I had removed my hood, I would say that it's probably on Can-Am? Am I correct?

Comments on Salida's pic:

1) Sign at the start of Montrealer.

2) I wasn't there when it was taken, but that would be Kitzbuehel Skier's Right. Place where you had to remove your skis unless you're on some 4S? What are you guys going? Yoga strenching with skis? :lol:

3) Beer break at Mid-Can Am. Now I know why you guys were laughing from that pic (didn't really see much on the LCD screen when I took it). :lol: Pretty much the END of the Eastern Lift-service season.

Back