The Gnar Whales

salida

They jumped into the press this morning at 8 AM after 2 hours of layup. Here is what grizzly had to say about em:

Grizzly Adams":1of8jq93 said:
THE TRIPLETS

After setting up my shop and the relative success of my first pair of skis, http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1439, I decided to expand my production three fold and make three identical massive powderboards.

They are going to my brother (salida), a good friend (gpetrics), and myself with the dimensions
205cm
150-130-144
and they are going to have all sorts of graphics schemes as follows:

My bros skis will be The Gnar Whales. Like their artic sea wandering bretheren, the narwhal, the Gnar Whales will excel in arctic conditions and may or may not have large protruding horns. The skis themselves will have light blue bases and the topsheets will appear wood grained. I plan to create a cool effect on the topsheet graphics by using a pyrography tool to enscribe the graphics and writing directly into the core. I will then cover the core with fiberglass and a clear topsheet which will both be transparent after pressing. I think its going to look flippin sweet.

My buddy's skis will be The Ulloranges. Like the Norse God of Skiing, Ullr, they will be very talented at skiing and also rather promiscuous. Unlike Ullr, however, they will be bright orange...EVERYWHERE. I was able to locate some orange base material and the topsheet will have some bright orange fabric beneath it as well. I've even been able to come up with some orange stain/varnish type stuff to touch up the otherwise wood grain sidewalls. His only request in the graphics department was "a touch of orange somewhere on the ski". Needless to say, he is going to get it.

Finally, my skis will be The Golden Eagles. Like their namesake, the trick I christened the golden eagle, they will be all business... but also all pleasure... SIMULTANEOUSLY (lets see Chuck Norris pull that one off). When properly executed, the trick looks a little something like http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos- ... 88_179.jpg . Given that it is my favorite trick and the only trick in my arsenal, these skis will be perfectly suited to throwing yooge (read: huge) golden eagles into the deepest of deep pow. I was fortunate enough to run across some gold metallic base material online and I plan to make the topsheet red, white, and blue with a smattering of metallic gold eagles.

The Gnar Whales are in the press right now!

More news to come later with lots of pics!

I should have these bad boys in SLC on Monday if anyone wants to check em out.

They came out a touch softer than anticipated, but beautiful none-the-less.

n1328250033_30135777_2460.jpg

n1328250033_30135780_3249.jpg

n1328250033_30135782_3776.jpg

n1328250033_30135792_6564.jpg

n1328250033_30135795_3657.jpg

boy! those should ride nice over the blower out there. won't even matter if it only snow's a foot of light density over the skied down hard crap out there cuz you won't feel it. fat is definitely where it's at!
have fun, now my nomads look skinny.
rog

Thanks guys. They should be a lot of fun. Had to go bigger than the current quiver max (the xxls). Also, wanted to do some materials testing, and such, as its a engineering project for Grizz.

I find it curious that on one hand, hard core skiers rave about powder, the deeper the better; orgasmic reports of waist deep powder and face shots grace these boards regularly. Yet at the same time, folks are going for ever wider, higher flotation skis that keep you......up out of the powder. :?:

Marc_C":1texmxfa said:
I find it curious that on one hand, hard core skiers rave about powder, the deeper the better; orgasmic reports of waist deep powder and face shots grace these boards regularly. Yet at the same time, folks are going for ever wider, higher flotation skis that keep you......up out of the powder. :?:

I have to agree. I've found that a long, wide ski has significant stability advantages. There is for me, however, a point of diminishing return for the reasons that Marc_C describes.

And I'm moving this to the equipment forum, for that's what we really have here for a topic.

Marc_C":348vf4hs said:

maybe it's cuz i come from a snowboarding/surfing background. for me, there's nuthin like ridin on snow as opposed to in snow. walking on water would be the ultimate but, us mere mortals are left to walkin in water. ride high i say and if ya want face shots tip em high and angulate for a more dynamic ride.
rog

After quite a few flex comparisons, they align roughly with the K2 Pontoons, flexier than we were aiming for, but it should do the trick.

For me, I like the control and stability a big ski gives in deep snow. And yes I still get into the snow plenty... I'm not sure how a ski this big will fare though. Only some new snow will tell.

Admin":3l3fed5g said:
I've found that a long, wide ski has significant stability advantages. There is for me, however, a point of diminishing return for the reasons that Marc_C describes.

Agree. I remember the first time I heard the term "Cheaters". (ie. Skis for people that don't have the abidility to ski powder). This was used by my good friend that moved West in the late 80s and did some guiding for heli when he had time. All the rich guest had "cheaters", while he skied on straight 201s slalom skis.

Funny how the "experts" came around to shear by them. :lol:

PS. Good work Grizz. I would curious to try one of those homemade skis one day. Must be fun.

Patrick, better come out to Utah and give em a whirl... If you insist I bet you could meet up with Grizz or Gpetrics on a big EC day too. But hell, I'd rather see you out here in Utah.

salida":1i3td3z7 said:
Patrick, better come out to Utah and give em a whirl... If you insist I bet you could meet up with Grizz or Gpetrics on a big EC day too. But hell, I'd rather see you out here in Utah.

How about tagging up in Argentina? :twisted: Sorry. :wink: Utah, EC, BC, it's all good. Well see what happens when snows start failling in town.

Back