Greek Peak 2/16/05

Sharon

We got about 3-4" in about 2-3 hours this morning. By 1pm, I was feeling 'sick' and since nearly half of the county employees have the flu, my boss said I should go home and rest. So, I went home and rested, for like 10 minutes, then I put my ski clothes on and headed for the slopes.

There was hardly anyone there when I arrived at 3:45. I got a parking spot in the front row. Grabbed the fatties, my mp3 player and headed across the bridge to the lift.

The snow was wet and heavy, but 3+ inches on top of slush and mud was quite welcome, no matter the water content. The best skiing was where there were no tracks. Tracked snow was cruddy and tricky. But there was plenty of untouched to keep me happy for a few hours. There was one 'reserved' section of a trail that had signs around it marking it 'closed'. But it wasn't the whole trail that was closed, just the section furthest from the snowmaking. There was not much base in some places, mostly between the bumps, but with the fat skis I just floated on top and made my signature in the smooth creamed cheese. There was only one set of tracks on this slope. I added about 5 additional sets of tracks. It was lovely. On one run on this trail, there was a ski patroller across the way watching me the whole time. He did not chase me or even yell. I think he was impressed that I made such beautiful turns in the fresh snow, hardly exposing the brown beneath the white surface.

In the fresh snow I could make turns in time to the beat of the music I was listening to. It was like dancing. I was in the zone and having a great time all by myself.

At 5:30 I went in for a fluid exchange and ran into my posse of chick skiers. I dropped my mp3 player and cell phone, as well as the shell and put on a warmer jacket, as the temps were dropping. I swapped my fat skis for leaner ones because the rest of the evening will be dedicated to racing. I took the girls on the 'reserved' trail and showed them the fresh snow I saved for them. before our race clinic at 6pm. The clinic reminded our bodies what they were supposed to do to carve a clean arc which should help decrease our time on the course.

The course had a lot of turns and was fast. It got rutted quickly. I was able to scrub .7 secodns on my second run. The course was getting faster, but much trickier. I held on and felt great. One of my friends who is a first seed skier (fastest seed) didn't even go for a second run because he was afraid. He almost blew up the first time.

Our team is in second place. We might have had first if our first seed skier showed up. Lots of people are sick, and I bet he's one of them.

It was a fun night at our ski hill.

Back