Wisconsin Skiing Last Winter (2007/2008)

circuitry6

So there appears to be quite a bias towards the Red Wing side of Lake Michigan in this Midwestern forum (from the 4 total people who post here 8-[ ). I thought I'd jump in here and help represent the Wisconsin/Blackhawk side of the lake a little more.

Anyways, no snow pictures out this way yet. But the leaves are definitely coming off in droves, and that means winter is right around the corner. Much like the rest of the country, Wisconsin enjoyed one of its best ski seasons in my memory last year. In fact it was *the* snowiest season ever. I live in Chicago, and do most of my skiing around Madison, WI. On my way up to Devil's Head last year I stopped at a gas station and the newspaper headlines read, "Record 101" of snow in Madison this year." Link: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2007/snow0708.html (search for ‘Madison’) I skied 6+" of fresh, non-machine-made, power that day at Devil's Head in the *last* weekend of March (which is almost unheard of out this way)!

In normal years, I'll admit that the Michigan side definitely gets more snow. But in seasons like last year, Wisconsin skiing definitely can/will trump anything over there on the Michigan side.

But here’s to another great skiing season on both sides of the lake! :ski:

Maybe I'll post a summary of my favorite spots up in Wisconsin some other time.

-M

My impression has always been that Michigan UP gets the most snow in the Midwest. Which is closer to Chicago than Detroit, I think.

circuitry6":1xryt2y8 said:
So there appears to be quite a bias towards the Red Wing side of Lake Michigan in this Midwestern forum (from the 4 total people who post here 8-[ ). I thought I'd jump in here and help represent the Wisconsin/Blackhawk side of the lake a little more.

Welcome circuitry6! The more the merrier, and as you noted the Midwest section could use a little help. Glad to know that you're willing to provide it!

Time-wise Detroit is definitely closer, mainly because the UP doesn't have any interstates running to or through it. I-39/US51 stops a little north of Wausau. But I've never actually driven up as far north as the UP in winter.

When I go up that way I stop at Granite Peak, which IMHO is Wisconsin's best kept secret (though I'm slightly hesitant to share this...stay away from my hill :) ). Granite Peak really has turned itself into a somewhat respectable ski destination, by Midwestern standards that is. On busy, peak-season, weekends I'll definitely drive the extra 1.5/2 hours to go up there instead of fighting the crowds at Cascade, Devil's Head, and especially Alpine Valley.

Back