Forum software upgraded

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
FYI we just upgraded our forum software to 3.0.2, the latest version of phpBB. This upgrade encompasses all changes and bug fixes since 3.0.0. While most are arcane and behind the scenes, invisible to most users, some may have noticed this problem:

A user is subscribed to a particular forum. A topic within that forum is updated and the user receives an update notification. If the user follows the link in the update notification to view the topic that was updated (i.e. the viewtopic.php link) the notify_status in the forum watch table is not cleared. The user must go to the viewforum.php link in order to clear the flag. As a result any other updates to this forum will not generate further update notifications until the flag is cleared.

This has been fixed.

A few others that you might notice:

• Correctly display subforum read/unread icons from RTL in FF3, Konqueror and Safari3+
  • corrected link for searching post author's other posts
  • Topic searches by author no longer return invalid results
  • Show email ban reason on registration
  • Sped up viewforum considerably
  • Limit private message attachments to be viewable only by the recipient(s)/sender

Out of curiosity, I am going to upgrade my small forum soon too. I had to download a special "patch" in phpBB2 to stop constant spam accounts and it worked 100%. Did you notice if 3.0.2 has something built in or do you get a lot of spam accounts still?

q":37q6fxo9 said:
Out of curiosity, I am going to upgrade my small forum soon too. I had to download a special "patch" in phpBB2 to stop constant spam accounts and it worked 100%. Did you notice if 3.0.2 has something built in or do you get a lot of spam accounts still?

phpBB has a captcha image built in to prevent spam registrations, so no problems there. One other thing I do that you may find useful is that I block large ranges of IP addresses located in China and Russia from the server as a whole -- 99.9% of any traffic to our website originating in those locations is of dubious intention.

Back