What size ski - Christmas gift

pammy

Hello. My friend demo'd 2008 K2 Burnin Luvs last year, in 153cm and 160cms. She loved them! She thinks she liked the 160cms better. I ordered them online (2008's) for a surprise for her for a Christmas gift, in 160cms. They couldn't get the 2008's, so replaced them with a 2009, but sent 163cms instead of the 160's that I ordered. I'm worried that they might be too long. They didn't tell me when they replaced the order with 2009 Burnin Luvs, that K2 changed their sizes on the 2009s. They are now 156cms and 163cms, instead of 153 and 160cms. Had I known, I probably would have opted to get the 156cms, and not the 163's. So, which size do you think would be better for my friend....156 or 163? She's 5'5", 132 lbs. I would say she's between a strong advanced skier, and a weeker expert. She skis very well, but not very agressive.

I did notice with the 2009 Burnin Luvs, that the tail curves up quite a bit, so I don't know if you ski them longer than a ski where the tail doesn't curve up so much.

Thanks!

Pam

Pam,

I'm not qualified to answer your question properly, but I doubt it will make a big difference. I will say, however, that you are one swell friend!

Tom

I'm sure that she'll be fine with the 163s. The difference is minimal.

My wife is a low intermediate and has the 160 Burnin' Luvs and she's fine with them, so I'd imagine that your friend would benefit from the extra length.

I'm guessing the 163's are going to be just about her height, maybe an inch shorter than her height. They should be more at about the middle of her forehead shouldn't they? The tail does really curve up though, so they may be ok, I'm just not sure. I'm 5'3" and ski on 150cm (hmmm, or are they 155's?) Salomon Screams, and it was a HARD switch going to short skies after skiing for several years on Salomon 190's that were about a foot taller than me!!! My ego was trying to go up a size on the Solomons Screams I have now, but after demo'ing different sizes, I went with what felt better, rather than worrying about my ego. :)

Pam

How is your wife's weight and height ? I'm not so concerned with the difference of 163cms vs 160cms, but rather the 163's I got, versus the next size down which is the 156's. I guess it's about less than 1" more in the front and back. Pam

Admin":2wjqtcl5 said:
I'm sure that she'll be fine with the 163s. The difference is minimal.

My wife is a low intermediate and has the 160 Burnin' Luvs and she's fine with them, so I'd imagine that your friend would benefit from the extra length.

pammy":33plow47 said:
How is your wife's weight and height ?

5'4", 105 lb. Remember, the ski can't tell how tall the rider is, only what the skier weighs.

Oh, well your wife is only an inch shorter, and much lighter, so maybe my friend will be ok with the 163s. Thanks!

Admin":29ouvx71 said:
pammy":29ouvx71 said:
How is your wife's weight and height ?

5'4", 105 lb. Remember, the ski can't tell how tall the rider is, only what the skier weighs.

I emailed K2, and this is what they said.....

"The 2009 163 Burnin Luv is the same ski as the 2008 160 Burnin Luv. As you mentioned the tail of the ski is curved up quite a bit. Up until this year we did not include that curved part of the tail in measuring the ski as it did not have any contact with the snow while skiing and thus it would ski like a 160. But if you had our 160 Burnin Luv on a rack at shop it would stand as tall as other brands 163 skis because of longer tail. This year we have decided to add the tail length to our sizing to make them match up in length to other brands. In short if your friend liked the 160 she’ll now want the 163, if she liked the 153 she’ll now want the 156."

I got that advice when looking at twin tips for my daughter since the back curls up and the actual ski being skied is shorter than the stated length.

Awesome... I think I picked the right size afterall. :)
Thanks everyone.
Pam

Tony Crocker":1x0p70wf said:
Becky (whom admin observed last Feb) is 5' 6" and 135 and is comfortable on the 167cm Lotta Luv.

Back