Anyone have a review of the following skis?

Jeff

I'm debating between the following three skis, Atomic SX11, Volkl SS6 or SS5. I think that I understand from general reviews that the SX11 and SS6 are more or less the same kind of skis. The SS5 is the wild card being pretty much the same ski as the SS6 but with a more forgiving flex.

Any thoughts community.

Jeff":2iw078k3 said:
I'm debating between the following three skis, Atomic SX11, Volkl SS6 or SS5. I think that I understand from general reviews that the SX11 and SS6 are more or less the same kind of skis. The SS5 is the wild card being pretty much the same ski as the SS6 but with a more forgiving flex.

Any thoughts community.

You'll find comments about the 6-star and 5-star in earlier topics around here. My summary on the 6-star is that it's dead under 30 mph, a carving ice skate over 30 mph, but definitely for high-speed groomers only.

if you like high speed groomers only, the 6* is quite a ride. if you can flex it and control it, oh man is it a fun ski. high speed groomers only though, at least from my brief time on them. i wouldn't recommend them if you're looking to do anything but high speed groomer action.

Went a bit off the rails and ended up with EXP 724s in 177cm. The more reviews I read about the Supersport 5-Star, the more "hardpack cruisers" jumped out at me. As much as I like cruising (was on Northwoods/Northstar at Vail in February just as the cats were grooming the run top to bottom - god that was fun), but here in the PNW, a good all-around ski is more practical if you can only own one pair.

Now, only about 9 months to wait.

How well do the 6 and 5 star handle the crud on end of the day groomers? Conversly how do EXPs handle the hardpack?

i would take the 724 over the supersports for crud/hardpack. the 724 rips on hard pack too, just not quite as ripper as the supersports.

I am considering the 4 star and 724 EXP for my first ski purchase. I ski groomers 98% of the time. I have read on some reviews and other msg boards that the 724 requires more effort on groomers than the 4 star. If true could the same be said at the end of the day when the groomers get sloppy?

i got a pair of 724exps and i love them. they have been great for me everywhere. they are great in the woods, great in trees, good on ice and hardpack. my GF has a pair of supersport gammas and they seem to do a little better on ice and hardstuff but the EXPs seem to handle variable snow, powder, and crud better [probably because they have less sidecut]

just don't get the AT binding with the damper arm if you ski bumps/trees a lot. mine pulled out of the ski, but it is just a damper so the main binding/ski is still fine. Get the motion LT methinks.

Back