Looking for Ski Bag suggestions

Patrick

Well, I think that I'm tired of wrapping my skis in clothing like crazy in order to protect my skis when flying. Looking to get a hard case.

Currently focusing on the Sportube II or III.

http://www.snowshack.com/products/equipment/bags/ski_bags

Pros:

Skis are better protected from the non-hard case bags.
Wheels (which can be a bonus for some).

Cons:

Really concern about the weight of this box. (especially for weight requirement of luggage or traveling around (see note below).
It would seem awkward to carry/push around.
Apparently a thigh fit with lifters or AT bindings.

This case seems fine when you moving from plane to rental car, however I'll often go from plane, to bus, to cab...involves public transit etc. Plus I'm looking into heading down with 2 pairs of ski this year, because I'm afraid of putting all my trust into my newly replaced Rossi/Naxo bindings. [-o<

Any options, suggestions, on the Sportube on other etc. Plus I figured that with two pairs, I might need to Series III.

IIRC the model I have is the II. The last time I used it was to fly to Quebec last November. Getting my G3 Reverends mounted with Silvretta Pures into the case was tricky due to the increased platform height of AT bindings and the binding bar's interference with nesting the skis inside one another. This annoyance repeated itself when the TSA opened up the case to inspect it and I had to get it all back together again. Nevertheless, the case was simple to use. The rigid case is much more conducive to using the wheels to pull the thing around an airport. Weight doesn't seem to be a factor -- it weighs less than you might think. And of course the gear protection is superior.

Admin":mou25dht said:
IIRC the model I have is the II. (...)Getting my G3 Reverends (...)inside one another. .

So from what you are saying, it would be a challenge to fit two pairs (one with AT) in the #II? So I should look into the III at pretty much the same price?

Admin":mou25dht said:
Weight doesn't seem to be a factor -- it weighs less than you might think. And of course the gear protection is superior.

Factor from plane to car rental. How about with going the public transit route?

You'll never get two pair into the II if one pair has AT binders. And no matter the transport - plane or bus - IMO using the SkiTube is easier,

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
mobile.png

The SporTube Series 2 (for 2 pairs) works wonders. Hauled two pairs of all mountain Heads from the States to Europe and all over Europe. We got some funny looks dragging it through the streets of Venice last winter, but it was well worth it. If you have AT bindings, it might be a stretch, however the quality and ease of use is unbeatable.

Welcome HA! The OP is now traipsing around South America -- I think that he bought one for the trip.

Admin":3fjjcd6a said:
Welcome HA! The OP is now traipsing around South America -- I think that he bought one for the trip.

Thanks for the welcome, but now I'm just jealous of the original poster! Is that healthy? ;) Totally off-topic, but I'm in desperate need of a new pair of boots fitted and I'm having a heck of a time finding a good fitter in the UK. Would you suggest that I post this question somewhere on the forum? Likely to get some decent responses? Cheers, mate!

HeadAddict":2fjpkg6a said:
Would you suggest that I post this question somewhere on the forum? Likely to get some decent responses? Cheers, mate!

Can't hurt to try! Start a new thread in this particular forum.

Back