Las Lenas, ARG Sept. 1-7, 2009

Skiace":3qdyw78j said:
rfarren":3qdyw78j said:
Perhaps it's safer to rent a car. But man that is crazy. Who would ever expect a cabby to run off with your stuff.
Perhaps, but unfortunately this is pretty impractical for most trips when the only transportation you need is airport->bus station or int'l airport->domestic airport.

Skiace is correct. Plus if you read one of the post above, a car can easily be broken into.

I'm kicking myself this morning...many red flags. ](*,) however I didn't know to get away from that situation. As you can see from one of the link I posted on TGR, some taxi drivers will try to get you after some fatigue.

Aye Ca rumba!

Not a lot to add as I've never been to SA. But that really sucks.

Hard to figure out what your unique signature will be for meeting up with folks (especially new folks) in the base area without those pink poles.

Hard to figure out what your unique signature will be for meeting up with folks (especially new folks) in the base area without those pink poles.
Hasn't someone on FTO made a comparison of Patrick's fairly unique appearance with someone from ZZ Top??? :lol:

Patrick -

To be forced to face the worst in humanity while pursuing your dreams...it is just so sad. I can't express it.

If you can imagine some way that we can help...please tell.

Patrick, trust you made it home OK.

I've been reading a bit about BA. Travelers we met while in Chile and Peru extolled the good things about it, but I think we will go through Mendoza if we ever make it back to SA. There's a poll of one of the web sites which indicates that just under 50% of travelers have experienced some sort of crime in BA.

Hope your insurance pays for most of your new stuff. I'll keep my eye out for pink poles!!! :troll:

As a 4.5 year full time resident of Argentina, I am very sad to hear about what happened to Patrick. It was a case of bad luck.

With the exception of leaving my laptop in my truck at a trailhead (that was dumb), my wife and I have never had any crime against us. Generally speaking, Argentines are warm, loving and honest folks. Of course there are a few that are scammers, such as the Boludo taxi driver that violated Patrick.

One tidbit about Buenos Aires taxis is to always take a "radio" taxi. If it doesn't say Radio somewhere on the cab, don't use it. The Radio Taxis pay into the system and are legit.

Back