Get ready for a Gore/North Creek interconnect

rfarren":1l3uiis5 said:
Admin":1l3uiis5 said:
That original gondi came out years ago.
That old gondola was pretty neat/scary. Kinda like an old wooden roller coaster. I think they still have one of the cars at the base of the resort.

A friend of mine called it the "fiberglass death trap" (even though neither of us had any knowledge of any incidents with the lift)

Mike Bernstein":33i558po said:
It's unfortunate they are unable to go beyond the summit of Little Gore/North Creek Ski Bowl up towards the summit Pete Gay mountain. That way, it would be three lifts to the summit, with skiing between each of them, not ot mention opening up a huge swath of north facing terrain for slackcountry exploration. Alas..

Not sure if you are suggesting access to Pete Gay from the Ski Bowl...that would be one long expensive ugly lift. I think it was originally part of the plan to ski up there, but I think I heard that it's now against the APA rules. IMO the way to access Pete with a lift would be from the base of the North Chair. Had many a cheeseburger at the Saddle Lodge pondering that one. In my dreams it's just a lift line serving no trails.... accessing only those beautiful "widely spaced" trees.

jamesdeluxe":33i558po said:
... didn't the previous gondola go to the top, or am I thinking of a different ski area?

The original red Gondi went from the base to the Gore summit. The new setup is so far superior IMO. In those days you either skied up top or at the bottom. You only wanted to invest the 20-30 mins to get to the top once per day. Advanced skiers hit top in the morning, came down when they got bored, skied the bottom for a little while and quit by 2:30. And Cloud...the flat connector from top to bottom, was the only way down. Everything is way more integrated and fun now.

skimore":33i558po said:
Maybe if your intentions are to stay on the lower half. 4 lifts to the summit isn't so appealing

None of the new development will change the fact that the real ski hounds line up at the Gondi in the morning waiting for the light to go green. MAYBE some folks will skate to base of the BRQ on a big morning. Like to hear Skimore's take on that.

rfarren":33i558po said:
That old gondola was pretty neat/scary. Kinda like an old wooden roller coaster. I think they still have one of the cars at the base of the resort.

That thing must have been 120 feet in the air at one point. It was tiny and kind of thrilling. The old red cabins are everywhere. Five or six are in the pub and if you drive around town you can see a bunch more here and there.

Harvey44":217t7pqz said:
Mike Bernstein":217t7pqz said:
It's unfortunate they are unable to go beyond the summit of Little Gore/North Creek Ski Bowl up towards the summit Pete Gay mountain. That way, it would be three lifts to the summit, with skiing between each of them, not ot mention opening up a huge swath of north facing terrain for slackcountry exploration. Alas..

Not sure if you are suggesting access to Pete Gay from the Ski Bowl...that would be one long expensive ugly lift. I think it was originally part of the plan to ski up there, but I think I heard that it's now against the APA rules. IMO the way to access Pete with a lift would be from the base of the North Chair. Had many a cheeseburger at the Saddle Lodge pondering that one. In my dreams it's just a lift line serving no trails.... accessing only those beautiful "widely spaced" trees.
I was thinking of getting closer to Pete Gay, but not necessarily to the summit - that would be a long lift. Just to the lower summit to its East. Still a long lift though - 25% longer than the current gondi. You're surely right regarding the optimal access from that lift - I was just riffing on ideas to get to the upper mtn from North Creek in a more direct manner. Maybe a little lodge (think Allyn's lodge at SB South) to serve as a remote base station near the confluence of this lifts.

Just a dream - APA forbids it.

Harvey44":2wge8fvn said:
skimore":2wge8fvn said:
Maybe if your intentions are to stay on the lower half. 4 lifts to the summit isn't so appealing

None of the new development will change the fact that the real ski hounds line up at the Gondi in the morning waiting for the light to go green. MAYBE some folks will skate to base of the BRQ on a big morning. Like to hear Skimore's take on that.

That would be dependent on the weather. The snow on lower half can be variably different and visably less than what you find on the upper half. With the exposure on that place many times I've been there with powder up top and mank down low

Back