rust

aaron12345

I just noticed the edges on my skis are just barely starting to rust. Other than that the skis show pretty much no wear, a few small scatched in the bases, but nothing that noticably affects performance. Anyways, is this anything to worry about, or is their anything I can do to fix it?

If it's just a little bit of surface rust, no worries -- it'll be gone after a run.

Did you put your skis in a ski rack on the car on the way home? That'll do it. When you get home, wipe them down with a clean, damp cloth to get the road salt off.

In New England, edges are the most important part of the ski. I take no chances and always bag my skis before they go rooftop. When I get them home, I wipe them dry. Me+My Skis well tuned = a great day. Me + My skis with bad edges = bad day in New England...
8)

In the conditions I usually ski I am probably incredibly negligent by New England standards. My everyday skis usually go about 20 days between tuneups. The 1986-vintage Rossi 3G's I used Saturday at Baldy probably hadn't been skied on for 3-4 years. I did test the bindings in the front yard and threw an extra pair of old skis in the car just in case. They worked just fine in the ideal spring conditions.

A few times I have gone from ski hill to airport, bagged the skis, flown home and put the bag in the garage, only to notice considerable rust when I next used them.

Marc is correct. The rust comes off after one run. But I do now pay more attention to wiping skis dry, particularly at/near the end of the season.

With each bit of rust, a little bit more of your edge comes off. Miniscule? Yup. But after I paid over $1million (seems that way) for those babies, I'll treat them with some TLC, especially since I need to have them last me 5-7 years.

On a related matter...
I shudder at the thought of road salt getting into my bindings! Paper or plastic? Ill take a ski bag or inside the car!

billski said:
On a related matter...
I shudder at the thought of road salt getting into my bindings! Paper or plastic? Ill take a ski bag or inside the car!

That's not to mention the incredible damage that road grit racks on internal binding surfaces. Aways use a bag or roof box!

Cheers,
Jeff

Back