heated ski gloves

johnnash

I recently saw heated ski gloves some advertised, and this seems like a pretty good idea for those of us who are thermally digitally challenged. (I've used the one-time chemical handwarmer packs on occasion, and they're OK, but don't last a full day, are a bit awkward, and get expensive over time.) A Google search turned up many different versions of these gloves, ranging in price from around $30 to $240. The main obvious difference between the low-end and high-end models was that the latter use Ni-Cad or other small rechargeable batteries, whereas the former use battery packs of AA or AAA batts.

Anyone had any experience with these?

thanks

We tested the Gerbings last year:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index. ... y&sid=3247

Pricey, for sure, but the heat output was impressive. They're well made, use quality materials and Li-Ion batteries which employ smart-charging technology. Stay away from Ni-Cads -- that's old battery technology with a miserable memory that will render them useless over time.

Heated ski gloves?? I've never heard of this, but it's definetely something I could use! I always suffer from the cold, my fingers especially! I haven't yet found a pair of gloves that really keeps me warm. I just don't know if I would be prepared to pay $30 to $240 on keeping my fingers warm...

I would imagine these would only be necessary on the coldest of cold days. For those types of days I put my gloves away and put my mittens on.

I agree with rfwarren. Mittens on the coldest days. You could also try silk (or synthetic) glove liners. These help a lot, and you get to keep your dexterity.
For batteries, although they may be environmentally less desirable, I'd go with good old alkaline batteries in a standard form factor. That way, if you get stuck on the mountain with dead batteries, at least you can duck into the nearest lodge and pay double retail for a fresh set. That's the approach I took when I purchased a digital camera, and I haven't been sorry. I don't use the camera much, either. I presume a heated glove would see limited use.

You know how opinions are. Like noses (and other things). Everyone has one.
Tom

Sorry, I don't have experience with glove warmers, but I do have lots of experience keeping my hands warm in temps well-below zero. IMO, mittens are key, but so is layering. My standard cold-weather set up is an old pair of uninsulated gore-tex over-mitts, thick, roomy fleece mittens, and thin poly liners (mostly for performing quick tasks that require some dexterity). Depending on conditions, I sometimes also carry a pair of much lighter-weight fleece mittens. With this set up, I remove or add layers as conditions demand. My hands are seldom cold. I've never found a single-layer pair of gloves or mittens that are as warm or as versatile.

I ended up buying (or rather, receiving as a present) gloves from +venture (you can see their line at addheat.com). I think they cost about $150. They are lithium ion technology, and the company claims they last 500 charges. I have VERY cold hands, and these -- with a glove liner -- keep my fingers fairly warm on very cold days, although not exactly toasty. I would say they're a bit warmer than mittens, and being gloves, they're more flexible than mittens. They do seem to last a full day of skiing, as long as I power them down during lunch break.

For someone like me, who doesn't know what to answer when asked what I want for Christmas, this made a nice present. :)

If anyone has specific questions, I'm glad to answer.

pointpeninsula":1roqan3z said:
Mittens on the coldest days. You could also try silk (or synthetic) glove liners. These help a lot, and you get to keep your dexterity.

I disagree about the glove liners. If the gloves fit properly glove liners could result in colder hands, by cutting off circulation. I think mittens with glove liners, could be very warm, but my experience differs with gloves.

I've had good luck with glove liners. My internal temperature regulation is the world's worst. I have to layer as much as possible so I can add or subtract on the fly to stay warm enough without sweating a lot. Mittens + glove liners will handle any cold I've been in, though I realize some of you have to deal with worse. Though I don't think johnnash skis much in New England or Canada, so he shouldn't be dealing with anything worse than I do.

Register another vote for mittens. I've had the same pair of Burton mittens for 12 years. They are worn, torn, and filthy. But I've NEVER had cold hands in them. That includes some insanely cold days at Cannon and elsewhere.

If I were to buy another pair I would insist on the 2 features that I believe make these so good.
1) Gore-Tex. Keeping the wet out is obviously top priority. But letting the wet out (sweat, etc) is just as critical. There is no other waterproof/breathable that compares.
2) Roominess. My mittens are a full size too big. That might be overkill, but lack of constriction and room for warm air are a really big factor.

Thanks for the correction, rfwarren. I thought about that a little after reading your comment and rereading my post, and realized that I don't wear liners with gloves, but only with mittens.

I only buy gloves and mittens with removable liners. I'm using Smith at the moment for both glove and mitten. For me, the key is starting with dry gloves and liners that pull out make all the difference in the world in drying quickly in case I space and don't put them on the boot dryer.

I'd love to have some good heated mittens in my gear ensemble. My mittens are OK but I still numb the thumbs out if I'm out for an extended period of time in subzero.

Back