Tuning skis

kingslug

So I started tuning my own skis and have a question. How much wax should I drip onto them..seems like I scraped off a hell of a lot. I drip about 1 dime size drop every 2 inches. I have to do this in my apartment so keeping shavings to a minimum would be good. Any tips??

Dribble two lines of tiny drops the length of the ski, one on each side. Then iron it in. To keep wax use to a minimum use something like a roller waxer to spread a thin, even coat prior to waxing instead of dripping. All you're trying to do is fill the pores in the p-tex, not add a thick coat.

A great resource for both tools and tips:
http://tognar.com/

Not to mention cleaner.

Be careful to keep wax off the floor, though, especially a concrete floor. Use a dropcloth, or an inexpensive carpet runner, or you'll have a nicely waxed floor, and it doesn't remove easily.

Happy tuning!

damhik

Tom

Nawww, that's no fun.

I found a 6' carpet runner today for $8, so now it's in front of my tuning bench. I still would rather feel up my skies personally. Maybe an annual grind or beltsand at a shop, but the rest myself.
Tom

rfarren":2j5m0hrh said:
or you could spend $20 to have someone else tune your skis.
I don't let too many people work on my cars...skis are easy and it comes out better. If I can work on a 92 vette I can sharpen and wax em.....roll your' own!!!

pointpeninsula":37oos1ck said:
I found a 6' carpet runner today for $8, so now it's in front of my tuning bench.
kingslug":37oos1ck said:
Got a big plastic drop sheet for the carpet...biggest mess is all the shavings....I need a friggin garage!!

OK, so I didn't even notice this thread existed for a month :-"

My 2 cents: Or depending on usage don't waste time scraping. If you're not racing with 'em, why scrape. The snow will have the excess scraped clean in 1-2 runs anyway (and even quicker on firm snow where you need your edges right away). Not to mention how few folks that scrape their skis will ever protect the bases correctly from home to the slopes to ever get the real benefit/usage of a 'precision' wax/scrape IMO. Really, unless I'm racing (which I haven't even done in a beer league for a couple years now), I never waste my energy or time scraping anymore. I have better things to do with my time since it provides no direct benefit to normal skiing around a mtn.

If you want to control the wax shavings and metal filings from tuning just make a simple box with a 2 or 3 inch lip on the perimeter. I have made a couple of them that have enough width to have both skis on the table at one time and that use a very simple and inexpensive ski vise/hold down. To check them out go to http://chris-cbphotography.blogspot.com/ There are two benches on the blog, one that folds in half for storage and one that doesn't. The non folding bench is going on it's 3rd season and has been used for approx 200 tunes. (i have kids in racing=lots of skis) Have a good season and happy tuning.

Canyonmanny, apologies for the delayed approval on your post. Our notification system of pending posts failed us. Welcome, and further posts from you will not be moderated.

Back