killington 5/14/05

skiadikt

don't ever believe the weather channel. if you snoozed you lost and you weren't alone because the place was empty. the turnout for the tri was embarassing.

saturday rocked. great way to close it out as it turned out for us. wasn't exactly your basic bright sunny spring day but the sun did pop out a few times during the mostly overcast day with nothing more than a few drops. bitter was open top-to-bottom with a few thin spots and upper skye lark was still well covered. warmed up with a skye/bitter and followed by a t-t-b bitter. upper skye had a nice bump line skiers left. supe hadn't been groomed in at least a few days and was absolute perfection with the bumps being in peak bloom. great lines edge-to-edge ranging from monsters to mid-size bumps to some 'dirty' lines with some sweeet corn (particularly that double fall-line skiers left section). trashed ourselves on the thing. left saturday feeling a sense of closure with the mountain, satisfied that even if we didn't ski sunday it was a great day to close it out. woke up sunday morn to some drippy skies in rutvegas and after waiting it out for awhile decided to leave on a high note and headed back south.

supe looks great and could probably last 'til memorial. they pushed the pile down onto the headwall so there was no walking. there may still be some hope as there was a petition circulating asking that they keep the mountain open 'til the snow runs out. doubt it but we'll see ... in any case supe's definitely worth the hike if you're into earning some.

Thinking back to when I went last Thursday, that was the best coverage this late in the season for the past 5 years at least. I asked several employees and they all said the same things about why K would close up for good after yesterday. Lead me to believe they had been coached.

I think the lifts are shut for good on 04-05.

skiadikt":23ad4x4t said:
saturday rocked.
(...)
supe looks great and could probably last 'til memorial.
(...)
there may still be some hope as there was a petition circulating asking that they keep the mountain open 'til the snow runs out. doubt it but we'll see ... in any case supe's definitely worth the hike if you're into earning some.
I signed the petition... but I have to agree with Jim, I am afraid the lifts are shut down until next November. :cry:

Snow coverage (I haven't ski K in the spring in the last few season, but the only year I recall so much snow since the NEW Superstar can to be in 1987-88 would be 1997. I remember skiing LATE May and Vertigo and Great Eastern-Snowsheed crossover combo were also open. I also skiied on June 1st and June 15th that year.

Saturday was definately rocking, especially when the soundtrack to Lower Superstar skiing was Camper Von Beethoven. 8)

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... zyxdabjolk

Patrick":pbxhogn6 said:
I am afraid the lifts are shut down until next November. :cry:

A sure thing is that according to their website, summer is well on the way at Killington and winter is far behind...

So...having a signed petition from a bunch of passholders makes spinning lifts for 20 people profitable...sometimes you all amaze me.

nymous":ytj46wf5 said:
So...having a signed petition from a bunch of passholders makes spinning lifts for 20 people profitable...sometimes you all amaze me.
Am I a passholder :?: If I would known I wouldn't have PAID $39 US!!!

The sheet I signed only add 2 passholders on a whole page (check box for passholders). I noticed there were other fellow Canadians from Montreal, Sherbrooke that also signed, I would be very surprise if they were passholders too.

We had this discussion last year, some of us only show up at Killington when it's the only show in town. After skied the previous weekend elsewhere, I showed for my first and last Spring day at Killington in 2005.

I never said it might be profitable, some ski area are not profitable after Easter but still run their lift as long as they can. I don't question the right for K to close or not, it's was just a petition - K can do what they wish.

nymous":dkrhnrw9 said:

Nobody said that...just a bunch of folks signing a paper letting ASC know their opinion. Probably worthless, but it can't hurt either. I'm glad I don't ski at ASC resorts regularly...seems there is alot of bitterness at those places.

Snowbird is probably getting mostly passholders now, but they have adjusted operation due to the huge snowbase, and perhaps increased demand.

1) Gadzoom is running 2 extra weekends than originally scheduled.
2) They opened a few midweek days when they got new snow.
3) Weekend operation is now described as "every Saturday and Sunday only from 8am-2:30pm, as long as conditions allow", rather than the fixed closing date of May 30.

Marc can comment on how many non-passholder skiers he thinks are at Snowbird.

I do think managements at traditional spring areas should show some flexibility depending upon the snowpack. I'm obviously spoiled by Mammoth in this regard, as it puts way more management effort into spring skiing than anyone else.

Tony Crocker":qabxmz52 said:
I do think managements at traditional spring areas should show some flexibility depending upon the snowpack. I'm obviously spoiled by Mammoth in this regard, as it puts way more management effort into spring skiing than anyone else.

Personnaly I don't have a problem with K closing policy. The main issue for me (as stated elsewhere regarding MSS) is the Marketing of it. I can't stand the :bs: about making in to June, being open until this date or other very very optimistic prediction. The same as the snow report I guess. :roll:

I have to hand it to K this year, as a non-regular K skier, the BS seem to be at a minimum reading open/closing dates. This said, a bit of flexibility would've been nice. I mentioned this above, Killington have never seen this much snow on a closing weekend in the 20 years I have ski there.

PLUS, only one other time (1997) that I have seen some much snow in mid-May since the Spring operations was been moved to Superstar in 1987-88. So it would have nice to have skiing for this long Canadian weekend. 8)

Back