A 2,000 vf rope tow?!

At 1,473m (4,833 ft.) long with a 626m (2,056 ft.) vertical rise...
~2.5 to 1 length to vertical ratio is very steep, comparable to the lower lifts ascending Al's Run at Taos.
My arms ache just reading about it.
Absolutely. I wonder why they didn't do the "nutcracker" tows like the club fields. Come to think of it, maybe that's what they are doing.

I may have the opportunity to report on the latter next month if enough snow accumulates.

I recall driving by Lake Tekapo in 1982, but I don't remember a ski area there. But it would have been nice on the day we were grounded at Mt. Cook.

Confirmed by my Black Diamond Safari guides when I was at Mt. Olympus July 17. The new Roundhill rope tow IS a nutcracker tow. The club field skiers are jazzed. They are as proud of their nutcracker tows as MRG skiers are of the single chair. Although I had some difficulty with the nutcrackers the club fields have sound rationale for using them. The obvious reason is cost, but they also can be repaired promptly if damaged. And a lot of NZ ski terrain is very avalanche exposed, so the lifts do get hit by them from time to time. And as one would expect, the rope tows are even less vulnerable to wind holds than pomas and T-bars.

Back