Las Lenas and 2010 South America Season

Coronet Peak did not in my impression have the length of slope necessary for downhill training. Mt. Hutt will be better for that. It would be interesting to hear how the New Zealand club fields are doing given the above average base at Mt. Hutt.

I thought about pushing Patrick toward NZ when I returned July 22, but I didn't think it was quite there yet. History was on the side of South America pulling ahead over the ensuing month, but it didn't turn out that way. I also get the impression from admin's report that the Canterbury areas in NZ are continuing to have a better season than the Southern Lakes.

It snowed about 2 feet in Las Leñas the last couple days. It was getting very brown and melting out quickly, so this storm definitely extended the season. The snowpack is still way shallow in this part of the Andes. The farms in Mendoza province, who get their water from the snow melt, are going to have a tough summer.

Further south in northern Patagonia, a long time guide told me it's the best coverage he has ever seen in those parts.

Back