Locked anything in for 10-11 yet?

mikesathome":2emot3dk said:
16month old first ski trip, tho she wont be skiing

Why? I've known quite a few 18mo olds where mom or dad pushes them up a bunny hill a ways for 30 or 45 min, etc... Gets'em used to that sliding motion early :-D Just rent the boots/skis as small as they come and don't bother with a ticket obviously...

I'm vacilating endlessly in deciding our Spring skiing trip. My wife is a teacher, so we're locked in to 4/16/11 - 4/23/11 somewhere. The plan was to go to Mammoth, but all this La Nina talk has me considering Mt Bachelor instead. Since I'm flying out of Buffalo, I have to decide early, otherwise the limited flight options fill up pretty quickly.

Tony Crocker":1i383u3m said:
For the very young kids, we should defer to JSpin. There are devices to use with 2-3 year olds, and I think JSpin bought some of them. Maybe from here: http://www.kidsnskis.com/index.htm I think the guy who sells those ski aids gave a short presentation at NASJA 2000.
We got our ski teaching aids from Steve Lathrop’s Apple Rise Sports:

http://www.applerise.com

As far as age goes, with the help of the aids children can basically begin skiing once they can stand. Steve has started kids as young as 7 months old as he indicates on the Apple Rise page. Ty and Dylan both had their first experiences with the equipment around 12 months, which is the way it worked out since they have winter/early spring birthdays. From what I’ve seen, there’s not really any need to start kids that young in terms of their skiing development, it’s just an option if you want to be out there on the slopes with them vs. being on the slopes without them.

Well I had no idea people started with kids at that young of an age!
She has been walking since 11months, really walking good now at 13months, so we will see how it goes but I know mom and dad would LOVE to see her out on the slops even if its just for a moment

Steve Lathrop was the presenter at NASJA 2000. So that's the right source of children's ski aids if you're interested. But just remember the general rule of thumb about getting young kids to ski. 4 is the average starting age; younger than that, they should be asking you or at least showing strong interest.

AndreB":5r2tbxe4 said:
The plan was to go to Mammoth, but all this La Nina talk has me considering Mt Bachelor instead.
The La Nina argues for some caution at Mammoth in early season, but there is little question of an inadequate snowpack in April. But yes, if I had to make the call now with the La Nina I would choose Bachelor if only based upon likely more snow.

Unfortunately there is another issue. Lift operations are often cut back after the 3rd weekend in April. Mt. Bachelor's practice in recent years has been to cut back lift operations (no Northwest, Outback and limited backside access) and hours (close at 1:30PM) after the 3rd weekend in April. There has been no flexibility in that decision, though in fairness I have put a call in to ask if the late Easter might make a difference. The tentative response is that they wait and see how business is going in the spring, but my question is being passed up to the marketing director.

Mammoth has closed Canyon and Eagle Lodges after the 3rd weekend in April in recent years. However, Mammoth's operations are based upon conditions and demand more than the calendar and are still likely to close at 4PM in your time frame. I have called Mammoth and they intend to maintain full operation of lifts and Canyon/Eagle lodges to April 24 because of the late Easter.

Without an expectation of full operating hours and lifts from Mt. Bachelor, I would choose Mammoth for that week despite the La Nina.

AndreB":2vz9al72 said:
I'm vacilating endlessly in deciding our Spring skiing trip. My wife is a teacher, so we're locked in to 4/16/11 - 4/23/11 somewhere. The plan was to go to Mammoth, but all this La Nina talk has me considering Mt Bachelor instead. Since I'm flying out of Buffalo, I have to decide early, otherwise the limited flight options fill up pretty quickly.

With the late Easter, Big Sky is open until 4/24. You can ski the last week for real cheap too:

http://www.bigskyresort.com/Activities/Winter/Season_Pass-Sky_Card/Frequent_Sky_Card.asp

Tony Crocker":5qoxsnos said:
Unfortunately there is another issue. Lift operations are often cut back after the 3rd weekend in April. Mt. Bachelor's practice in recent years has been to cut back lift operations (no Northwest, Outback and limited backside access) and hours (close at 1:30PM) after the 3rd weekend in April. There has been no flexibility in that decision, though in fairness I have put a call in to ask if the late Easter might make a difference. The tentative response is that they wait and see how business is going in the spring, but my question is being passed up to the marketing director.

Mammoth has closed Canyon and Eagle Lodges after the 3rd weekend in April in recent years. However, Mammoth's operations are based upon conditions and demand more than the calendar and are still likely to close at 4PM in your time frame. I have called Mammoth and they intend to maintain full operation of lifts and Canyon/Eagle lodges to April 24 because of the late Easter.

Without an expectation of full operating hours and lifts from Mt. Bachelor, I would choose Mammoth for that week despite the La Nina.
Thanks for all this. I had inferred from other threads that Bachelor closed at 1pm or so this late in the season. I love that Mammoth will be in full operations (weather permitting) for the duration of our trip. I booked our flight to Reno. I also based this decision partly on the option of skiing some Tahoe resorts for variety or if Mammoth weather/conditions is terrible for some reason. Thanks again.

So, in the spirit of this thread: Wife and I are locked into Tahoe/Mamoth 4/16/11 - 4/23/11. Oh yeah, and a season's pass worth of skiing at my local 800ft ant hill. ](*,)

AndreB":1v67zrg3 said:
Oh yeah, and a season's pass worth of skiing at my local 800ft ant hill.

Wait, you're not going to regale us with tales of HV and E-ville? It's not exactly bad for what it is and where it is...

EMSC":2hyaexf0 said:
Wait, you're not going to regale us with tales of HV and E-ville? It's not exactly bad for what it is and where it is...
Well I certainly can try, but I don't think I'm that good of a story teller! After skiing there for 25 years, you certainly do feel like you've conquered the place. But to your point, it's a nice little mountain, a fun town, and only an hour away from home. It's definitely our weekend escape.

AndreB":3hw68j6y said:
I also based this decision partly on the option of skiing some Tahoe resorts for variety or if Mammoth weather/conditions is terrible for some reason.
While the odds strongly favor much better surface conditions at Mammoth that late, I agree with leaving the lodging piece flexible. The mild negative effect of La Nina at Mammoth has not applied to Tahoe in the past.

I get a free companion fare with my amex that must be used by the 28th of feb. I was able to book a full fare ticket for half price and decided to take my father out to SLC, for Dad/Son take 4. My schedule was limited with work, concerts and all, and I didn't want to go out during presidents day weekend when it would be mobbed. So, I'll be headed out to SLC on the 6th of Jan. It's a bit early in the season, but I figured by then the snow should be somewhat reliable. After years of my father spending money on taking me on vacation I figured it would be nice to return the favor.

Anyhow, anybody else have their first destination trips planned?

People have been talking about their upcoming trips in EMSC's thread "Locked anything in for 10-11 yet?" (about 10 listings below).

Nothing in stone yet except these...

Roll Back the Clock day at MRG on Tuesday January 25th.

April 2nd: MRG

Every Wednesday night from January to mid-March = Masters race at one of the local hills.

And Saturdays and possibly Sundays at Edelweiss except if there are races elsewhere.

jamesdeluxe":1bmw6az5 said:
People have been talking about their upcoming trips in EMSC's thread "Locked anything in for 10-11 yet?" (about 10 listings below).
oops :oops:

Maybe crocker will merge the threads under EMSC's.

My dates for Japan Jan. 17-31 are now locked in. I needed to go in and out of Tokyo to get a good FF deal to get there, so I will be in Niseko/Hokkaido Jan. 22-30 via Japan Rail Pass. I hope to see a couple of the Nagano Olympic areas before heading north.

no ticket purchased yet (will wait till 2-3 weeks out regardless of price), but after talking with craig i'm hoping to be in the wasatch for 2 full weeks in february. 12 days skiing and a day either end for travel.

other than that, just my sun/mon, and some tues skiing. maybe chic choc april.

it's here!

rog

Back