OK, now I'm ready for the snow. Bring it on.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Just picked 'em up (and no, I didn't edit the photo that way -- that's how it was given to me):

admin_s7.jpg

Nice!!! They match your shirt. The only problem I see with them is they are a bit too wide for Utah. (That was sarcasm btw)

I assume you got the Super 7? Is this a 1 for 1 replacement for the Movements?

By the way, they're definitely too narrow for a Utah powder ski. If I ever have your living situation, I'm definitely getting some DPS Lotus 138s. Why bother with any considerable amount of normal sidecut?

Staley":1k2nxhrr said:
I assume you got the Super 7? Is this a 1 for 1 replacement for the Movements?

They're the 188s, not the 195s, therefore not the Super 7. I got some FKS 140 XXL bindings with them but I'm still not sure if I'll mount those on the S7's or take an old pair of Fritschis that live on my Volkl CMHs, which are now damned close to dead and are nearly ready to be made into an Adirondack chair. I'm not entirely convinced that the self-adjusting toe height on the FKS's has sufficient range to accommodate touring soles, and swapping out DIN soles every time I want to take these skis will be a royal PITA.

The Goliaths are still an everyday ski for me for anything except tight quarters, and the G3 Reverends will remain my backcountry touring ski. I'm still considering picking up some Rossignol S6's or Salomon Sentinels to replace the CMHs as they'd be more versatile than my beloved Goliaths, which are still the most rock stable thing I've ever ridden. I skied both the S6 and the Sentinel last winter and liked them both. People with these S7's swear that they're not that bad on firm snow and groomers, either, so I need to wait and see. The thing I like about them is that they have a reasonable amount of traditional camber and sidecut underfoot (17.5m turning radius), then go reverse sidecut and rocker only at the tip and tail. They're wood/carbon with no metal in them. So in theory they should be fairly versatile. We'll see.

Staley":1k2nxhrr said:
By the way, they're definitely too narrow for a Utah powder ski. If I ever have your living situation, I'm definitely getting some DPS Lotus 138s. Why bother with any considerable amount of normal sidecut?

'Cuz I'm 44 and you're not? :lol: Have you got a boat and a ski rope to go with those Lotus 138s? The dimensions on the S7s are 145-115-123, with which that rockered tip will generate more than enough floatation for little ol' 145 lb me. And don't forget that it's not always exactly chest deep blower around here...

I really thought those would be 195s considering how much taller than you they look. I'm a little afraid of what my 191 Lhasas will be like now, as I'm still smaller than you.

It's not always chest-deep blower, but you just said that these are dedicated powder skis, so why not prepare for it! Although I have no actual knowledge on the matter, I bet the FKS can fit a touring sole. I'm sure the folks over at TGR would be able to answer that question, too.

By the way, DEFINITELY do not buy any S6s unless you see them in person. If you haven't already, go check out the thread on TGR on them. Rossi seriously messed up the rocker such that there is a contact point under foot and in the tip and the tail, creating 2 separate sections of camber.

Patrick":13nt7cx2 said:
Admin on Rossis....I never thought I would ever see the day. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was my first thought when I saw the pic too...

Yar.

I spent 3 weeks on 188 S7s in December of 08. They're quick and nibble, but ski significantly shorter than 188. I'd say they ski more like 175-180s, with all the elf toe business. They are very quick edge to edge and hold an almost slalom like edge on the groomers. I must say though (and I do like to ski over rocks more than the next guy) that these really only lasted 3 weeks before I had a half dozen core shots in them. The base material was not hard at all. Maybe it was because it was the first run, but ski cautiously if you want to have any base material left on these guys.

As for the super, they definitely ski longer, but still only like a 185ish. And they are stiffer, more for my size/style of skiing. They were also slightly more durable.

Just my thoughts, for what they are worth.

Marc -

You are gonna love those skis! I have them in 188 also and for clown feet, they ski pretty well in all conditions. I was very surprised with them last spring. I thought I would gravitate back to my S6's, but found myself on the S7s every day! For the record, I think a wider binding is better for leverage on harder snow. You won't be touring on them (or, at least I would not recommend that) since they are pretty heavy skis...so put regular alpine on 'em and have at it!

Thanks for the feedback! That's the way I'm leaning.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
mobile.png

I'd definitely go alpine too. I've had trouble with raised bindings prereleasing on my Praxis. I'm putting Jesters on my new Lhasas to eliminate the stack height issue. The added stack height helps you get wide skis up on edge, but I just don't feel secure.

See, I prefer the extra leverage provided by increased boot height of AT bindings. And quite frankly, after skiing nothing but AT for the past 5-6 years I'm rather used to that extra leverage, especially on fatter skis.

You're going to get more of a "slarvy" feeling when skiing the S7 in powder due to the tip and tail rocker, and for that type of turn, you're not trying to put the ski on edge. If these are really going to be used almost solely in powder, than alpine bindings are still the way to go I think. Still, if you're used to AT bindings and you're going to be skiing these in non-power conditions frequently, then perhaps you'll appreciate the added lift of AT bindings.

In the end, it's probably not going to make too much of a difference.

Marc_C":1hoqteam said:
Admin":1hoqteam said:
Just picked 'em up...
When did you dye your hair green? It's an interesting look.

The skis aren't green, either. Chalk it up to the photographer using one of those crappy whyPhones.

Admin":7i8skyjt said:
Marc_C":7i8skyjt said:
Admin":7i8skyjt said:
Just picked 'em up...
When did you dye your hair green? It's an interesting look.

The skis aren't green, either. Chalk it up to the photographer using one of those crappy whyPhones. cell phones of any type instead of a real camera.
Fixed that for ya!

[Is there a strike-through code? The s-/s is the standard on a lot of other discussion fora.]

Admin":lmg87ml0 said:
The skis aren't green, either. Chalk it up to the photographer using one of those crappy whyPhones.
It's an app called Hipstamatic.

And if you want height <short joke>, there's plenty of ways to get that without committing to an AT binding. But I agree with the sentiment that stack height isn't as important for that kind of ski and the conditions it will see most often.

Back