Return to our Home Page Latest Ski News - Resorts, Events, Equipment, World Cup and more Latest Snow Conditions from Around the World Ski Resort Feature Articles Ski and Snowboard Equipment Feature Articles Our Liftlines user forums A Ski Resort Map Covering All of North America User Downloads Search Our Site Free Ski News Subscriptions via RSS Our huge database of other ski and snowboard websites around the world Contact Us

Shopping for Alpine Touring Gear

The Ski Rack is the discussion area for snowsports gear. See what your fellow readers think about the skis that you're thinking of buying, or get some feedback on the equipment that's right for you.

AT2

Postby kingslug » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:34 am

Well, starting to get some real outback gear...got the boots, endorphins, the bindings, Dukes, better poles...now need the avi gear. Found the level 1 course Mark recommended in NH...its on MLK weekend, have to see if I can swing it but I really need it.
And if I go to Killington this weekend...I'll have 2 days in...and there might even be hiking required.
kingslug

Re: My video from today at Snowbird/Alta

Postby Marc_C » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:12 pm

kingslug wrote:...got the boots, endorphins, the bindings, Dukes, ...

You didn't exactly go lightweight, did you?
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Admin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:14 pm

Marc_C wrote:You didn't exactly go lightweight, did you?

I tried to tell him...

The Endorphins aren't terribly heavy given their alpine style downhill performance but he didn't need the Dukes.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Marc_C » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:26 pm

And what's "outback gear"? Stuff you keep in the backyard? Only used in Australia?
-marc
Marc_C

Postby kingslug » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:23 am

The Dukes are heavy..but I wanted something that could hold...me..and they where $200.00 cheaper than other ones...I could always change them if I don't like them...anyway, I'm going to be able to hike easier than before.
Outback...also a restaurant.
Just checked the weight diff between the Fritschi and the Duke...10 oz. per pair..I can deal with that.
kingslug

Postby Marc_C » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:29 am

There's that old truism from backpacking: a pound on your foot is equivalent to 5 pounds on your back. An extra 10oz. here, and extra whatever for Endorphins over Adrenalins there, a slightly heavier ski than another option - it all adds up.

As far as needing Dukes to hold you...are you planning on dropping 60 footers in the side country?
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Admin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:05 am

Marc_C, FYI Garmont dropped the Adrenalin after 2008-09.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Admin
Site Admin

Shopping for Alpine Touring Gear

Postby rfarren » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:15 am

kingslug wrote:The Dukes are heavy..but I wanted something that could hold...me..and they where $200.00 cheaper than other ones...I could always change them if I don't like them...anyway, I'm going to be able to hike easier than before.
Outback...also a restaurant.
Just checked the weight diff between the Fritschi and the Duke...10 oz. per pair..I can deal with that.

You could have done the barons. They are a little lighter. I've always thought that the dukes and barons were really side country bindings and not optimal for uphill travel. Of course, with what I've been told about Bobby Danger, perhaps there is no need for AT bindings and boots at all... of course,the rest of us are mere mortals.
Rob
rfarren

Postby Marc_C » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:30 am

rfarren wrote:Of course, with what I've been told about Bobby Danger, perhaps there is no need for AT bindings and boots at all... of course,the rest of us are mere mortals.

Do not base your gear decisions on an outlier data point. Especially one that receives alien transmissions.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby kingslug » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:10 am

Well ..the skis ar lighter than what I used to go on..the boots are 2 pounds lighter..not sure about the bindings compared to what I have now though...
kingslug

Postby Skidog » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:43 am

kingslug wrote:Well ..the skis ar lighter than what I used to go on..the boots are 2 pounds lighter..not sure about the bindings compared to what I have now though...

Not for nothing, but i dont remember you being a lightweight. Are you planning on skiing these boots full time, or just for tours? If the former...you're going to overpower them i think..they arent ANYWHERE near the flex rating Garmont thinks they are.

M
M
Woof Woof ;)
Skidog

Postby Admin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:46 am

:bs: That's plenty of boot for him.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Skidog » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:59 am

Admin wrote::bs: That's plenty of boot for him.

Sorry dude...you're 140lbs soaking wet and havent had a new pair of boots in years. If i remember correctly the Quests you tried last season we're too much boot for you and have the near same "flex rating" that Garmont puts on the Endorphin...BIG difference. You couldnt even flex them. I call :bs: on Garmonts flex ratings. I went through testing quite a few pairs this last year...this is NOT plenty of boot if you're near 200lbs...can you learn to live with them? Yes...are there better boots for his weight? Totally...

Remember im the "gear junkie" not you....

EDIT: Sorry Garmont lists the endorphin as 130 flex...LOL....Quest is 120 flex...you couldnt flex the quest but the Garmont is 130...again... :bs: on Garmont.
M
Woof Woof ;)
Skidog

Postby Marc_C » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:22 pm

Skidog wrote:EDIT: Sorry Garmont lists the endorphin as 130 flex...LOL....Quest is 120 flex...you couldnt flex the quest but the Garmont is 130...again... :bs: on Garmont.

The flex ratings are relative to each manufacturer's line of boots and only comparable within their line. You cannot compare flex index between different manufacturers. It's just like ski run difficulty ratings.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Admin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:34 pm

Skidog, you'll recall that my biggest complaint about the Quest boots was their upright stance and inability to adjust forward lean. Had I not been placed so upright, with my weight on my heels, the boot's flex would've been far less of an issue. As it were, I needed to constantly force those boots into a flexed position, something I simply could not do.

Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Snowsports Equipment