Alta, UT 2/21/11

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 52: Insane! (Insane snow, insane traffic, insane crowds.)

Hands-down the best day of the year so far. Also the most crowded I've ever seen the Cottonwood Canyons. Take a bluebird powder day and stick it on a holiday and, well...it's to be expected I guess. Driving up this morning took 50 minutes, double the normal time. Traffic southbound on Wasatch Blvd turning left to head up Big Cottonwood Canyon was backed up for a third of a mile, nearly to the sand pits. Little Cottonwood Canyon was backed up beyond the Swamp Lot, forcing me off onto residential streets to bypass a mile of it. By the time I left the ski area at 11:30 a.m. they were diverting all uphill traffic onto the Bypass Road and forcing them to turn downhill where it rejoins LCC Road at E-Gate, parking Alta skiers between E-gate and the Hellgate Condos. :shock:

13_alta_parking_110221.jpg

There was not a single space on the shoulder of LCC Road the entire distance from Snowbird Entry 4 to Entry 1. By 11:41 the Salt Lake County Sheriff closed both BCC and LCC to all uphill traffic because "all ski resorts are at or near capacity." The singles line for Collins wrapped around and up the hill halfway to Wildcat. That equated to 15-minute liftline for Collins all morning.

But it was worth every second for Collins led to the goods today. Yesterday's snow was deep, but of medium or slightly heavier density. The last 9" of our 37" storm that fell overnight was far lighter, and the deeper stuff seemed to dry out in the clear and cold overnight air.

01_alta_restauranthill_110221.jpg

02_alta_armpit_110221.jpg

03_alta_baldy_110221.jpg

As a result, we were back to Utah pixie dust this morning, and we arrived atop Collins right as the Ballroom/Baldy Shoulder gate opened for the first time since the storm began. In GMD we bumped into our friend Denis, here from DC for his annual three-week Utah powder bender. He's now 70, and while he may tell you that he's slowing down trust me, this guy can still rip!

07_alta_ballroom_denis_110221.jpg

08_alta_ballroom_denis_110221.jpg

09_alta_ballroom_denis_110221.jpg

10_alta_ballroom_denis_110221.jpg

04_alta_ballroom_jon_110221.jpg

05_alta_ballroom_jon_110221.jpg

06_alta_ballroom_jon_110221.jpg

It was so good, we went back for sloppy seconds.

11_alta_ballroom_admin_110221.jpg

12_alta_ballroom_denis_110221.jpg

For our third run, Jon and I opted to head out to Backside while Denis went for a third Ballroom. The Backside traverse was only set about a third of the way across the hill, though, so we skied all the way down and around back to Collins. We looked up and spotted Susie's Trees barely touched, so with the traverse not yet set we finished up my day by accessing Susie's via Cheater's Thirds to Eddie's High. Great call! Deep and untracked in Susie's, a fitting way for me to return to work and Jon to continue skiing into the afternoon.

admin":1bwlq3y5 said:
Also the most crowded I've ever seen the Cottonwood Canyons.
I realize admin only had a couple hours, but for a whole day I would have opted for 14 inches at a quieter Snowbasin vs. 16 with the thundering hordes in LCC.

Tony Crocker":2rhbycp9 said:
admin":2rhbycp9 said:
I realize admin only had a couple hours, but for a whole day I would have opted for 14 inches at a quieter Snowbasin vs. 16 with the thundering hordes in LCC.

Of course you would've! It wouldn't be a Crocker post if it didn't second-guess my skiing decisions. :roll: Especially because the crowds had Alta so tracked out:

file.php

FWIW, I wouldn't have traded my 37" of fluff at Alta today for a measly 14" at Snowbasin for love nor money.

Tony Crocker":2gygvv2v said:
admin":2gygvv2v said:
According to a friend who was there (and suggested by some web cams), Snowbasin's lots overflowed by 10:30, with folks parking at least a half mile down both sides of the access road. He said lift lines were the longest he could ever remember. I was at Solitude - same story - lots were full by 10 and all available roadside spots were gone by 10:30 (and they were towing some who attempted "innovative" parking). I heard the same for Brighton. Judging by the amount of cars at the trailheads, the backcountry wasn't too quiet either.

We've been powder starved recently, we get a 2' - 3'+ storm coinciding with a weekend, and it's one of the bigger holiday weekends. None of this is particularly unexpected. Once again, you're offering Utah "expertise" from SoCal with little basis in fact, since it depends on direct observation.

Marc_C":j7f5bjto said:
Once again, you're offering Utah "expertise" from SoCal with little basis in fact, since it depends on direct observation.

My point precisely, and the ignorance displayed gets very annoying in a hurry. And it wasn't 16" in LCC, it was 37" for the areas we were skiing today hadn't been opened since the storm cycle began Saturday morning. And in fairness, that storm total at Snowbasin is 27", not 14", but I wouldn't have been skiing terrain there today that was closed since the storm began. I fully counted on Backside and Ballroom both opening today, and that plan worked like a charm.

The best way to have an enjoyable experience on a busy day is to go for hikes. Better snow/ less time in lines. Had two heli quality runs down high notch in the morning and four cat quality runs way out on Bookends. BTW there was no line on MBX after Road to Provo opened around 12:30. Maybe there were no lines at Eagle Point.

jamesdeluxe":29wmo6h3 said:
Admin":29wmo6h3 said:
the ignorance displayed gets very annoying in a hurry.
Admin can't resist that delightful mix of Crocker chum. :drool:
Admin":29wmo6h3 said:
Jamesdeluxe, if only it were chum... :roll:
Exactly - Crocker has these deeply held convictions that, despite being shown, repeatedly and unequivocally, that they're incorrect, he'll restate practically every season as being the truth. It's not chum if someone has a psychotic insistence that the hypothesis is correct.

Back